Front springs: V6 vs trick

Dr.Dan

Apr 6, 2011
Hey guys, first post here but I've been lurking for a while and reading through a lot of great threads.

I'm trying to decide between V6 springs (moog 5596) or moroso trick springs. This will be in a 81 GP which should be running high 11's (maybe mid 11's in forseeable future). I'll be using 90/10 shocks in front.

I know this question has been asked before and there seems to be plenty of people experienced with either or both. However, I'm still not sure what would be best for my application.

I do not know the exact weight of the front of the car right now. It is pretty close to stock. It is a sbc with dart iron heads but a few other typical aluminum bolt ons. It's been a bit of diet in the front but relatively minimal weight loss. Total weight is 3400.

From what I've read some people have had bad experiences with the trick springs (sagging, ride height, etc). One could argue this has only been because they chose the wrong spring rating. However, I've read they can be a real pain to install on G-bodies so putting them in and out a couple times if I need to cut a coil or two does not seem like fun. I have read no specific complaints about the v6 springs.

So what are your recommendations?

Thanks

Malibu 361

Dragway Regular
Jan 11, 2007
Queens,NY
I run stock v8 springs in my car and it launches great has and has nice stance...Small block ,with aluminum heads btw...

COPO 572

Dragway Regular
Mar 23, 2004
Morrisville, NC 27560
We can't do much of a comparison between your ride and mine because my front end is a lot heavier than yours, but there one thing I can attest to regarding 6 cyl springs. I've had them under a very heavy tall deck big block for years now and have not had any sagging issues.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
although i like the ride height the trick springs gave my car, i haven't noticed any significant improvement in 60' times at the track compared to when i had my stock 6 cyl front springs and rear variable rate springs.

Dr.Dan

Apr 6, 2011
Ok, thanks for the replies. I have ordered a pair of the v6 springs, we will see how the do. 8)

D.

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
cut 1/4 coil off the v6 spring and it should be perfect. this is with a stock gp rear spring and v6 spring up front with 1/4 coil cut off.

IMG_0009-3.jpg

Dr.Dan

Apr 6, 2011
Update:

I installed the new moog 5596 v6 springs. They are fairly tall and took a lot of compressing to get them in. I cut 1/2 coil off just to make them a bit easier to get in. Even with a good spring compressor it was tight getting them in.

I didn't take any before or after ride height measurements but it looks like it actually raised my car compared to the old sagging v8 springs. It's probably about 2 inches higher right now.

I'm going to wait for them to settle and come down a bit but I may cut another 1/2 coil if it's still a bit high in a couple months.

I haven't ran the car yet so I don't know if it will have any performance benefit, but I hope it helps weight transfer at least a bit. The jury is still out.

DD

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts