frontend weight

jacobgiles

Weekend Racer
Jun 27, 2007
Atoka TN
is there any practical way to lighten up the front bumper, radiator support on our 81 lemans? already switched to a glass lift off hood, TRZ A arms, manual steering, no inner fenders, no ac, manual brakes, looking to get some more weight off and that front end seems to weigh a ton. car has a steel headed BBC and would like to get the front/ rear ratio a little better, i feel like it may be easier to get the car to work batter.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Glass bumper, make or buy a tube radiator support. That's about all you've got left.

jacobgiles

Weekend Racer
Jun 27, 2007
Atoka TN
the car has a rubber nose cap on it (like a 3rd gen firebird) its all the inner structure that is so heavy, im guessing i can cut it up to get some weight out of it, even thought of making a new structure with some aluminum angle?

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Make a tube support, and add a couple of struts with mounting pads coming off it to support it. Same way that glass/pro front ends are mounted.

jacobgiles

Weekend Racer
Jun 27, 2007
Atoka TN
i thought of doing that too, with some small diameter tubing.

also trying to come up with a nice way to mount the kirkey seats, i didnt install rocker bars when i built the cage so that makes it a little harder.

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
I'm assuming the battery is already in the trunk. Mini starter, lightweight front wheels, aluminum cylinder heads, plastic headlights. The problem is that it's easy to get it lightened up, it's just expensive.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!