Fuel gauge issues

RobMalibu79

Daily Driver
May 30, 2010
Chicago IL,
I have been taking apart my Malibu for the past week and when I turn on my car the fuel gauge wasn't working so I figure it was just because I was messing around with the cluster to remove it soon so I had checked it and it was just lose so I had put it back in place and it is now working. But now my fuel gauge is acting weird it moves pass the F level all the way to the end. The tank isn’t even full it’s basically almost completely empty the last time I checked my gauge. Would anybody have any suggestions to what happen to my fuel gauge I did try disconnecting the battery for about 5 or 10 minutes to see if the system will reset itself once I plugged it back up but nothing at all still. I have even used another cluster I had laying around and it still those the same exact thing it will go pass the F level but doesn't go back to normal those anybody know what could this be?

ScotSea

Frequent Racer
Sep 21, 2003
Your post is kind of confusing, as you said "so I had put it back in place and it is now working. But now my fuel gauge is acting weird". What I get is that the fuel guage is not working, and going past the full mark. If so, look for an open in the pink wire that goes from the guage back to the fuel sender. Also could be a bad ground for the fuel tank sender.

RobMalibu79

Daily Driver
May 30, 2010
Chicago IL,
ScotSea said:
Your post is kind of confusing, as you said "so I had put it back in place and it is now working. But now my fuel gauge is acting weird". What I get is that the fuel guage is not working, and going past the full mark. If so, look for an open in the pink wire that goes from the guage back to the fuel sender. Also could be a bad ground for the fuel tank sender.
Yea I know I haven't had much sleep at all so I'm writing goofy lol but one of my neighbors had told me that it could be my float that has gone bad in the tank so that’s what I'm thinking it could be. But hey as for the pink wiring those it have a little box in between the pink wiring or it's just the wire itself on the harness?

ScotSea

Frequent Racer
Sep 21, 2003
Take a look here. http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring_diagrams/FuelGage-WarningIndicators.jpg

I think it is a pink wire from the guage to the connection on the tank.

RobMalibu79

Daily Driver
May 30, 2010
Chicago IL,
I found out what it was I had disconnected the wiring harness from the tail lights inside the trunk
which plugs up the fuel gauge wiring as well I had forgot about that harness but thanks for help people :)

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts