G-Body Weight loss 1978 to 1983

1Gary

Amateur Racer
May 8, 2013
Roch,NY
I have read the other "check list thread". I don't want to hi-jack his thread with my questions.

Here is the outline for what I want to build:

Trailer drag race 2dr Malibu only.It used to be said that it is much cheaper to lose 100lbs than to buy 10 hp where 100 lbs was equal to 10 hp.Going to bracket race it in Sportsman bracket wanting it to be able to cover the bottom of 12.00 and if I let it run like 11.80.

Is there certain yrs or models Malibu that is stock lighter than others??.

A car that has the stock floor and stock frame short of bolt on mods.But I would consider buying race wt fiberglass fenders,hood,header,bumpers,doors trunk lid.Of course I would be stripping it down to bare bones.

Do you think I could with this get the car in the range of 2800lbs with a yet to be determined SBC or BBC??.

I certainly have alot more questions about Malibu's suspensions and frames.

Thank you all for your help in advance.

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
My 80 Malibu 2dr. bench seat registration says 3179 lbs., now that is with the V6, metric 200, A/C and 14" rims and tires. Never weighed it after small block and T350 install but I am guessing I am at +/- 3300lbs. I have taken a lot of unnecessary weight out during my build. I would say that 2800 pound is very achievable if you are going to strip her down!

1Gary

Amateur Racer
May 8, 2013
Roch,NY
The part I am looking at is sportsman bracket racing really doesn't say how light you can go.Just not faster than 12.00.

How real light I get it would effect what suspension mods in height,springs,etc where needed too.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts