Gauge Cluster F'd (time to rebuild)

Konkeler

Pro Stocker
Jun 2, 2003
Hampton Roads VA
For those who remember, I bought my 4-door back in August. I mainly use it for the daily grind of commuting to keep miles off of newer nice Jeep or other toys. I wanted to drive it several months first before deciding to fix it up, and we've been moving the past few months, but this summer I wanted to tear into it the well-worn interior.

One of the first (and really few) problems I had was that aux gauges were not reading correctly. I pulled the cluster to discover that somebody had done some previous work to it and just destroyed a lot of the little plastic prongs that the gauges screw into. I tried to Epoxy and even JB Weld these together, but some still work intermittently due to contact not being tight enough. I've been browsing this morning and came across the threads where blownbigblock makes the gauge shrouds, which I was thinking to make myself, but will probably just buy from him as the prices aren't bad.

My main problems come down to the wiring. I work as a tech for a truck fleet and have all the tools and experience with the stuff so I'm not scared of it. I know the gauges run off of like a solid-state system/ribbon, but I haven't dug deep enough to now what plugs into this. Are all the wires for the gauges running into one main connector that can be cut up and hard wired with new connectors/wires?

Also, along the lines of gauges, I'm looking at the autometer stuff, but don't now how well the temp/oil/fuel is calibrated, or what the process of that is. Thinking of going digital if the price isn't too high.

I just don't want any surprises and hope to collect a few discounted items before I take everything on.

WhiteMalibu79

Daily Driver
Mar 30, 2011
Mooresville, IN
This is one of the most popular upgrades.

http://www.classicdash.com/shopping/Chevrolet/Chevelle-El-Camino-Malibu-Monte-Carlo/1978-1987/

If your printed circuit is trashed, you are going to need a new one. I'm not sure if these are available but check out dixie monte carlo, they seem to have just about everything. If you dont' want to bother with that, you could always switch to autometer gauges with the classic dash panel above. Do a search on there and you'll come up with lots of photos of the finished product.

WhiteMalibu79

Daily Driver
Mar 30, 2011
Mooresville, IN
Also, you should be able to replace and/or fix your gauges with the following.. as far as where these actually connect.. I'm not sure. Ive not had my car apart there... YET.

OptionalGagePackage.jpg

Just follow that diagram and you should be able to trace any of the wires you need.

Konkeler

Pro Stocker
Jun 2, 2003
Hampton Roads VA
The gauges and wiring are fine. The problem is the plastic tabs and other hardware that hold them apart have broken apart. So they sit loosely in their spots, not getting good contact with the terminals, so thus, they don't read.

So I want to cut it out and put autometer gauges in their place, but I need to know what wires to hook up to those.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!