"GEN" dummy light on all the time.....

evil80

Amateur Racer
Nov 24, 2008
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Hey guys.... My alternator in my 1980 Malibu had bit the dust last week so i had it rebuilt. Blew a diode inside and fried a wire. So anyways...I reinstall the alternator and start the car up and the "gen" light is off.... but the second i blip the throttle the light comes back on at full brightness. Checking voltage at the battery when the car first starts up and the light is off gets me 12.5 volts or so..... but after I blip the throttle and the light turns on the voltage then reads around 14.5 volts. Any ideas as to what is going on here?? I had the alternator rechecked at two different places and it checked out ok...seems to me like its over charging.

I tried a dedicated ground from the alternator to eliminate that possibility.... tried moving the voltage sensing wire to different spots and even replaced that wire also.

If anyone has any idea please help..

Thanks,
Jim

troubled81

Daily Driver
Dec 22, 2003
Windsor/toronto
Check for a half blown fuse or a bad spliceor connector form the fuse panel to the alternator. Any resistance on this line turns on the light.

evil80

Amateur Racer
Nov 24, 2008
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Got it all sorted out. It turns out one of the wires going to the actual light from the ign source was not hooked up. fixed that issue and everything worked just fine.

Jim

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts