GN rear axle tube seals leaking?

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
My GN rear is leaking a lot on the right tube end. We replaced the seals yesterday and it's leaking worse. It has 28 spline axles. Tubes seem straight axles went in and out easily.

Are there different seal part numbers for different year GNs or different spline axles.

Thanks

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I had the same issue when I put Moser axles in my 8.5. The seal surface was no where as polished as the factory axles. You could see the turning marks. The diameter of the Moser axle measured 1 or 2 thousands smaller than the factory axle. The direction the right axle rotates would draw the oil towards the seal, like a screw. The inside of the wheel and tire were soaked. The brake shoes were soaked. It was very messy to clean up.

Moser told me the vent was clogged.

I returned the axles, but removed the vent and made some mods to it to be sure it would breathe a little better.

I put in some Tom's Kick-*ss axles, which had a finer turning on the seal surface (but still not as polished as the factory axle) and they didn't leak. I don't know whether it was the vent mod or the axles that cured the issue, or a combination of both.

The seals for the 8.5 are the same as for the 7.5. Be sure to get a quality seal.

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
t5montecarlo said:
I had the same issue when I put Moser axles in my 8.5. The seal surface was no where as polished as the factory axles. You could see the turning marks. The diameter of the Moser axle measured 1 or 2 thousands smaller than the factory axle. The direction the right axle rotates would draw the oil towards the seal, like a screw. The inside of the wheel and tire were soaked. The brake shoes were soaked. It was very messy to clean up.

Moser told me the vent was clogged.

I returned the axles, but removed the vent and made some mods to it to be sure it would breathe a little better.

I put in some Tom's Kick-*ss axles, which had a finer turning on the seal surface (but still not as polished as the factory axle) and they didn't leak. I don't know whether it was the vent mod or the axles that cured the issue, or a combination of both.

The seals for the 8.5 are the same as for the 7.5. Be sure to get a quality seal.

Thanks that's a big help. Can you give me a little more detail on how you modded the vent? I never even noticed it. I only have it a couple of months..

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
melloelky said:
Can you give me a little more detail on how you modded the vent?
Hi Lou,

It has been about 10 years, so it is not totally clear; I will try and recap what I remember. There is a cap that floats on top of the vent. Even when the cap is in its lowest position, it should let air pass. I removed the vent, made sure it was clean, then I remember removing the cap and cutting some small notches in the top edge of the vent stack to be sure there was absolutely some air flow when the cap was in its lowest position. Then I snapped the cap back on. The result definitely allowed more air to pass.

The vent is plastic and is just lightly pressed into a hole in the carrier near the fill hole. Thoroughly clean around the vent before removing it so you don't get small rocks falling into the hole after you remove the vent. When putting the vent back, be sure it is fully seated.

Marc

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
t5montecarlo said:
melloelky said:
Can you give me a little more detail on how you modded the vent?
Hi Lou,

It has been about 10 years, so it is not totally clear; I will try and recap what I remember. There is a cap that floats on top of the vent. Even when the cap is in its lowest position, it should let air pass. I removed the vent, made sure it was clean, then I remember removing the cap and cutting some small notches in the top edge of the vent stack to be sure there was absolutely some air flow when the cap was in its lowest position. Then I snapped the cap back on. The result definitely allowed more air to pass.

The vent is plastic and is just lightly pressed into a hole in the carrier near the fill hole. Thoroughly clean around the vent before removing it so you don't get small rocks falling into the hole after you remove the vent. When putting the vent back, be sure it is fully seated.

Marc

Thanks Marc.

A guy is trying to redo the seal a second time. It leaked worse after the first attempt .
I told him about the vent.

If this doesn't work I may try one of those axle saver one piece bearing and seal and a new axle. I hope not. I'm in this thing too much already.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Lou, If your drag racing much at all you should consider C clip eliminators. I snapped a Stock 12 bolt 30 spline axle with a 450 hp 383 a few yrs ago. They saved me from a possible disaster.

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
C220128-lrg.jpg

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
Hi Ed,

I have been thinking about them, but I read they get worn fast driving on the street. I think it was on Mosers' site. They are for straight line only. it said. I have to look into it more.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts