Going manual reverse valve body.

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
I am going manual reverse pattern valve body (no T brake) in my TH350. What brand should I get ? TCI ? Does it matter?

Thanks

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
TCI is good, ATI is good as well. plus many others. Why are you doing this may I ask?

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
Ed Cannon said:
TCI is good, ATI is good as well. plus many others. Why are you doing this may I ask?

Hi Ed,

I had my 79 set up that way. I guess I'm doing the whole Malibu thing because I loved my 79 so much.

I still race some and I want the trans to shift when I want it to. Don't mind shifting at all around town.

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
I was going to get a TCI, but today someone was steering me to Hughes.

Gbodyfan

Weekend Racer
Aug 18, 2015
Las Vegas
I can say reverse manual valve body is a convenient set up no matter the manufacturer.

With that said this happened to me back when I had my first RMVB and new 4500 converter lol I barely tested it out on the street, set up a race with a guy I did not like AT ALL . He called my shop talking bad about my Big Block so I went ahead and accepted HIS race it was motor to motor, slick for slick long story short my Malibu hooked way better than EVER wheels up and gone BUT my hand was on the shifter and I accidentally pulled her into 2nd gear about 2'out and I could not reel him in at all he beat me by at least 4 cars EMBARRASSED I was cause they were talking all kinds of crap but not one person knew what I did....... We lined up again I left my hand off the shifter this time and won by a long shot..... I still get embarrassed about that from 22 years ago

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
Gbodyfan said:
I can say reverse manual valve body is a convenient set up no matter the manufacturer.

With that said this happened to me back when I had my first RMVB and new 4500 converter lol I barely tested it out on the street, set up a race with a guy I did not like AT ALL . He called my shop talking bad about my Big Block so I went ahead and accepted HIS race it was motor to motor, slick for slick long story short my Malibu hooked way better than EVER wheels up and gone BUT my hand was on the shifter and I accidentally pulled her into 2nd gear about 2'out and I could not reel him in at all he beat me by at least 4 cars EMBARRASSED I was cause they were talking all kinds of crap but not one person knew what I did....... We lined up again I left my hand off the shifter this time and won by a long shot..... I still get embarrassed about that from 22 years ago

Thanks Gbodyfan. We all have a story or two like that. At least yours had a happy ending.

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
Boy Lou those pockets are getting deep (better than wild women) I think I would concentrate on the rear first. Also does your shifter have the capability of going rev.

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
lilbowtie said:
Boy Lou those pockets are getting deep (better than wild women) I think I would concentrate on the rear first. Also does your shifter have the capability of going rev.

Yes I found a reverse Quarter stick. I am searching for a rear and I will do that first. I have a couple of leads on GN 8.5.

I'm getting my ducks in line. Atco, here in Jersey, starts in March. No deep pockets but good credit for now. :mrgreen: At 66 I don't know how much racing time I have left.

As far as wild women go. Cars are much better, you can turn the key and they're quiet.

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
Yea - I here you, I'm 67 and just love being at the track. My son does most of the driving but I still like getting behind the wheel every now and then. Just bought a new tow vehicle cause I may as well enjoy it while I can. At the track you might want to think about and electric (or pneumatic) shifting for consistency - you can shift on time or rpm. Use them in both cars.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!