Good wheel for stock 7.5 rear

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
Now i know people say these gm 7.5 stock rears are junk but yet half the people say they like them.. im planning on taking the malibu off the road once i get a civic, could i build this rear to perform like others. It would be a street/strip car to begin, like a weekend cruiser. but would love to run it on the strip too. reason i ask is because i still have the stock rallys. 14x7 all around. would like 15x8 or 9 in the back and 14x7 up front. what would be good backspacing and offset for the stock 7.5 rear. to get a wide tire on. right now i have 245? I think. and its bulging on a 7 in. rim. but has been working. need new rear tires, and would like to get nice rims to put them on, but this wouldnt be till spring. just need some ideas. and if not a 7.5 rear then what would be your recommendation, obviously save money on this project. but dont want to slack on whats best for the application.

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-521-5861PS/

These are nice, but i dont know much about choosing rims, wether there for looks. or some rims are made better by brand. usually i see weld rims as for drag racing. but it might just be personal preference. These on summit, are like an AR rim, but not as costly.

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
15x8 with 4 or 4.5 inches of backspacing is what most people run. I run 15x8 with 4.5 and they fit fine..255/60/15 tire.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!