Has anyone tried to build their own upper a-arms?

brrymnvette

Frequent Racer
Oct 18, 2004
St Louis, MO
I know a lot of guys use the speedway motors upper a-arms, and was just wondering if anyone has tried to build an adjustable one from them using the adj arms they have with just shorter tube? Thoughts of why it wouldn't work? I'm debating on trying it.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Upper-Control-Arms-IMCA-Modifieds,29430.html

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
What's the advantage of using this type of a-arm on a street car? Once the alignment specs are set, you're good to go. Obviously, for a track car, you may want some adjustability, but changing one of those rod ends will change the camber/caster. When the suspension goes through it's movement (arc), how can you predict what effects it will have on the camber/caster throughout the sweep? Man, that's a LOT of variables. Just stick with a Hotchkis arm, or one from Global West. Those R&D guys have worked out all that crazy stuff to give good compromise with tire longetivity and suspension compliance.

brrymnvette

Frequent Racer
Oct 18, 2004
St Louis, MO
It'd be for a street/track car. I plan on doing road course events with it every now and then. The stock arms don't allow for negative camber when the wheel goes up into the wheel well.

j&amotorsports

Amateur Racer
Apr 11, 2008
laurel springs nj
malicad said:
What's the advantage of using this type of a-arm on a street car? Once the alignment specs are set, you're good to go. Obviously, for a track car, you may want some adjustability, but changing one of those rod ends will change the camber/caster. When the suspension goes through it's movement (arc), how can you predict what effects it will have on the camber/caster throughout the sweep? Man, that's a LOT of variables. Just stick with a Hotchkis arm, or one from Global West. Those R&D guys have worked out all that crazy stuff to give good compromise with tire longetivity and suspension compliance.

agree! keep it simple

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
brrymnvette said:
It'd be for a street/track car. I plan on doing road course events with it every now and then. The stock arms don't allow for negative camber when the wheel goes up into the wheel well.

If you're gonna do road course stuff, the LAST thing you want is an oval track A-arm like the Speedway arms. I'm not knocking their arms at all, but I've seen oval track arms collapse under roadcourse braking/turning forces.

Tommy

brrymnvette

Frequent Racer
Oct 18, 2004
St Louis, MO
LS6 Tommy said:
brrymnvette said:

If you're gonna do road course stuff, the LAST thing you want is an oval track A-arm like the Speedway arms. I'm not knocking their arms at all, but I've seen oval track arms collapse under roadcourse braking/turning forces.

Tommy

Good point, didn't even think about it.

UMI Performance

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2005
Bigler, Pa
www.umiperformance.com
LS6 Tommy said:
brrymnvette said:

Tommy

Tommy,

Yes this is an excellent point and something we try to tell customers with out knocking the product. I know the price is tempting but it depends what you are using the vehicle for.

Anyone that has the desire and knowledge to build there own items, suspension or any go for it, tt is a great accomplishment. For upper front A-Arms the alignment is critical, getting the caster correct is the hardest.

Very good point!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts