Have a 9 inch ford in yours? I need ur help

KingNothing

Daily Driver
May 14, 2007
Okay I am working on my 78 malibu which is a 454, 4 spd car. The pinion bearing is bad on the 7.5 and I am switching over the the 9inch.

I bought a 83 grand prix a few years back that a guy used to drag race with here and there nothing serious. I went over the rearend and it appears that they did a very good job on shortening it. It does have 28 spline axles and it looks as if they had the oem ones cut and resplined. I seem to have miss placed the u bolts that hold the drive shaft to the yoke. Where can I get them?

Also I have no idea what this rear was originally from. Any one know how to tell?

I just know its got 4 1/2 inch bolt pattern and 28 spline axles also 355 gears

Also am I doing to need a special U joint to go from GM to the Ford rear?

Will I need to shorten my drive shaft?

Any help would be great!

p.s. This is not a drag car or anything real serious. This car will only be driven on the street.

454mali

Dragway Regular
Jan 26, 2006
Cleveland OH
7.5 rears never had 1350 ujoints...

Toner283

Amateur Racer
Aug 23, 2008
Arthur, Ontario, Canada
any automotive supply store (NAPA, Autozone, etc) should be able to replace the missing U Bolts. I wrecked one of mine & a new set was about $15 if I remember correctly. be aware, they are not two bolts and a steel strap like the 7.5's, they are a U bolt & two nuts - looks kind of like a small exhaust clamp. not sure if all 9 inch rears use these but this is what is on my car. 28 spline axles should be fine for a mild street car but if you step up the HP you should use the bigger axles.
If you can find a guy that knows his stuff at one of the parts places they should be able to hook you up with the proper universal joint. Do you still have the driveshaft that was in the car that had the 9 inch? Maybe take the u joint out of it with you to measure & compare.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
If the axles aren't multiple drilled, you need new ones. Our cars take 4.75" bolt pattern, not 4.5".

Tommy

KingNothing

Daily Driver
May 14, 2007
LS6 Tommy said:
If the axles aren't multiple drilled, you need new ones. Our cars take 4.75" bolt pattern, not 4.5".

Tommy

Im running 15x10 aluminum slots that are uni-lug so my slots will bolt right up. So im in good shape there

454mali

Dragway Regular
Jan 26, 2006
Cleveland OH
I firgured it wasn't but didn't think they would even make a 1350 yoke for a 7.5. learn something new everyday...

attngtr

Frequent Racer
Sep 20, 2007
Eastern Iowa
I believe stock GM 7.5 uses a 1330 u-joint. I used my stock driveshaft when I switched to a 9" until I could get one made and switched the 9" 1330 yoke to a 1350.
Hope this helps.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!