HEADLIGHT CONVERSION

CHROMAHOLIC

Amateur Racer
Jan 30, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Ok guy's, I have a question for all the electrical wizards, I have an 83 Malibu with the 4 headlight system. I just switched over from the factory sealbeam headlights to the new style lenses that take the H4 bulb from behind. My question is that the low beam plug is three prong which will work with H4 bulb but the highbeam plug in these cars is only two prong which won't plug in to the H4 bulb unless I bend the extra prong out of the way. Is there a solution to this or not, when I bent the extra prong out of the way and put all the lights in when I have just the low beam on the high beam bulb is on very faintly....any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Jim

ScotSea

Frequent Racer
Sep 21, 2003
I would go the the junkyard, and get a three prong plug and some of it's wiring. Take the two existing wires out the the existing 2 prong plug, and plug them into the same locations (color code wise) as the existing 3 prong plug. Then take the new third prong wire that is not connected yet, and connect it to the same color on the existing 3 prong plug.

Should make it work a double set of headlights.

Scot

ScotSea

Frequent Racer
Sep 21, 2003
The only problem I see is that if the new bulbs draw a lot of current, there may be a lot of voltage drop in the wiring. The wiring or switch may even get warm, which is not good. You may have to use a relay to get the load off the switch and stock wiring.

Scot

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
ScotSea said:
The only problem I see is that if the new bulbs draw a lot of current, there may be a lot of voltage drop in the wiring. The wiring or switch may even get warm, which is not good. You may have to use a relay to get the load off the switch and stock wiring.

Scot

Do that, it will help a lot, and the lights may be even brighter that way.
-Josh

malibuguy

Top Fueler
Sep 29, 2003
Finksburg, Md
www.cardomain.com
adding relays makes a big difference, i did dual relays on mine (even with equal length wiring, since i'm a nerd like that) on the original lights & that made a big difference, the right side used to be much dimmer, but they both threw out equal amounts of light

since i already had the relays before i went to H4 conversions, i dunno how much of a difference it would make, but i'd imagine alot

now i have true HIDs

once you drive with them, you'll never drive without them :)

-greg

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
Hey malibuguy can you still retain the high/low beam function with the conversion? From what I heard if you only have the older single headlight set-up like in the 78-81 cars you lost the function of the lights because the H4 bulbs and HID ones don't have dual fillaments.
-Josh

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!