Headlights just too DIM! Help?!?!

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
Any body out there have a problem with the headlights being just too dim? I have a 100 amp one-wire alternator, the only electrical items being twin electric fans and an electric fuel pump. Optima red top battery trunk mounted. Is this a pretty common problem? I guess I could start by measuring by the lights making sure there is a true 12 volts. Or, is there something common to look at in G-bodies specifically? I have an Autometer voltage gauge, and when driving around town, it reads around 14 volts. I think that's fine, but why the dim headlights? Thanks to all that respond!

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Add temporary ground jumpers to determine where the ground issue lies. For example, the battery grounds to the fender. The fender bolts to the radiator support. The headlight grounds to the radiator support. Connect a jumper directly to the battery ground lead and see if there is an improvement. If so, there is a bad connection between the battery and the headlight ground lead.

If not, look for dirty positive connections, such as harness connectors.

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
Thanks, guys! I will look into the ground issue.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
I would make a jumper wire with alligator clip, hook one up to the headlight ground and the other to the batterie ground If its a bad ground the light will be brighter. Take a strip of wire from the body ground rite next to the batterie to the frame. Doug

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts