Heater Blower issues

patsnavy

Daily Driver
Aug 8, 2007
Hey everyone, some advice could be used. My blower motor is not working. I examined the relay and connector, the relay appears fine, however what appears to be the hot wire, which is a fat red one going into the relay connector is cold, and a smaller orange wire is hot. I also put the meter to the wire going directly to the blower and grounded it to the battery, and no power was flowing. I am wondering could it be the relay, the resistor or a bad ground. Suggestions would be appreciated. Its cold in NY..

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Maybe make this a "Sticky"?

Does it run at all, or only on low? If it only runs on low it's the blower speed switch. If it doesn't run at all, the heater fuse or blower speed switch may be bad. If it runs on high only, the blower speed resistors are bad. If it runs on medium low, medium high but not high, it sounds like one of 3 things (since you said there's no power at the red wire connector at the relay I'm pretty sure this is your problem). I've found many times that the connector on the "fat" red wire from fusible link "A" on the starter solenoid gets corroded. Trace the red wire back from the relay until you find a connector. Pop the connector apart & visually check the terminals for corrosion, moisture or crud. Also check for voltage. If there's voltage, disconnect the "+" battery terminal & spray some contact cleaner in there, clean everything with a wire brush, lube it with contact lube & reconnect it. Then reconnect the "+" terminal & try the blower. If there's no voltage at the fusible link where it connects to the red wire, the link is bad. If there's power at the red wire on the relay & there's power at the blower high speed relay coil (orange wire) but not at the purple wire on the relay, the relay's bad. If the purple wire has power at the motor, the blower motor's bad or you have a bad motor ground.

Tommy

patsnavy

Daily Driver
Aug 8, 2007
It doesnt run at all, and I was unawares of the fusible link on the starter. However after reading other posts, i learned that this link also influences other accessories. All of my other accessories work, except the dash lights, and i replaced the bulbs, and fuses in those. But tomorrow I will check it out again. If it is the electrical connector that goes into the relay itself, where could I get one of those? Any ideas? Also, would you know where I could download a fuse panel layout from?

79Landau

Frequent Racer
Aug 28, 2005
Delhi Ontario,Canada
wiring diagrams

http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring.html

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
patsnavy said:
It doesnt run at all, and I was unawares of the fusible link on the starter. However after reading other posts, i learned that this link also influences other accessories. All of my other accessories work, except the dash lights, and i replaced the bulbs, and fuses in those. But tomorrow I will check it out again. If it is the electrical connector that goes into the relay itself, where could I get one of those? Any ideas? Also, would you know where I could download a fuse panel layout from?

You're right. It's not your fusible link. The car wouldn't even start. I'm a little rusty...
It has to be the the heater fuse or the blower switch. Something's not adding up, though. If it's the heater fuse or blower switch there shouldn't be voltage on the orange wire. :-k Maybe you have both a bad switch & bad blower speed resistors.

Tommy

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
the heavy red wire is the battery feed for the blower relay. i believe it hooks in down at the starter.

patsnavy

Daily Driver
Aug 8, 2007
Just came back from running down gremlins in the heating system. After cleaning the blower motor harness I got the fan to work in Med-Lo, and Med-Hi. Sucess is coming in slow steps. Perhaps the blower switch is bad, since it is not working in the Hi/Lo settings. I replaced the relay, and will be replacing the connector as well. All the connections have been cleaned. It has come down to 2 things, either the switch is faulty or the resistor. Im wondering if any tips to determine if the resistor/switch is bad.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
patsnavy said:
Just came back from running down gremlins in the heating system. After cleaning the blower motor harness I got the fan to work in Med-Lo, and Med-Hi. Sucess is coming in slow steps. Perhaps the blower switch is bad, since it is not working in the Hi/Lo settings. I replaced the relay, and will be replacing the connector as well. All the connections have been cleaned. It has come down to 2 things, either the switch is faulty or the resistor. Im wondering if any tips to determine if the resistor/switch is bad.

The blower runs on "Low" at all times if the heat/AC system isn't in the "Off" position. Maybe even if it is "Off". I honestly don't remember. Anyway, there's no switch for "Low". The blower speed switch isn't involved in the "Low" speed circuit at all so it's not the speed control switch. Sounds like the low speed resistor is bad. The resisitor's any easy visual check. It's located on the blower box. It looks like a rectangular plate about 2" x 1" & it's held in by (2) 1/4" zip screws. Pop it out & you'll see the coils on the bottom. The coil that is hooked to the Yellow wire is the "Low" speed resistor. If there's a break in it, time for a new one. Well, if there's a break in any of the coils it's bad.

Since you have voltage on the orange wire at the relay (that's the relay coil wire), the switch is probably good. You replaced the relay & still no "High" speed? Do you have voltage at the red wire on the relay? If not, check that connector at the fusible link I mentioned earlier. If you do have voltage on the Red wire, check for voltage on the Pink wire on the motor. If there's no voltage there, the relay may be bad out of the box.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!