HELP W/ PROBLEM ON MANUAL BRAKES

MYMONTECARLO

Weekend Racer
Nov 7, 2008
CINCINNATI,OHIO
Yes, I have travis's kit w/ a 1-1/16" bore master cylinder on my 78 montecarlo. disc/disc all around, 1/4" hard line run through wildwoods por. valve. to rear into factory tee,then 3/16 hard line to stainless lines into small gm metric (single piston) calipers. Same as the fronts. My problem after bleeding,pedals seems to be not hard enough,I put car on jack stands and ran the car to see if brakes work, the seem to stop fine wants i set valve ,it wasn't releasing rear brakes, went for a ride and rear brakes calipers want to stay locked on pass. side, caliper seem stuck ,replaced,w that side hard line going into stainless line,worked okay,on jacks. Drove again and locked again, all 4 rotors was very hot to the touch. ANY SUGGESTION,THANKS.

gstock8732

Dragway Regular
Jan 21, 2009
Jersey
Did u get the correct size master cylinder? Sounds the me that ur riding the brakes. Something is applying pressure. How small of a caliper? Or. Does that wilwood prop valve have a res check valve built in?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Is it a disc/disc master? Bore size is a little big, but it shouldn't cause drag or locking. Sounds like the master's not retracting all the way. Athe idea of having a residual valve int the prop valve may be something to look into. That would cause your problem. You don't use a residual valve with discs.

Tommy

MYMONTECARLO

Weekend Racer
Nov 7, 2008
CINCINNATI,OHIO
Yes,TOMMY,that is a disc/disc,mastercylinder.This master came w/ TRAVIS'S kit. You think i should remove wildwoods port. valve?? I installed to control pressure to rear calipers.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
If it's not one that's listed as havinga built in residual valve, I'd leave it. I assume you already tried backing the adjustment all the way down ( no reduction to the rear brakes)? How are our rear hoses? I've had the collapase internally & hold pressure on the brakes.

Tommy

MYMONTECARLO

Weekend Racer
Nov 7, 2008
CINCINNATI,OHIO
Yes,I did back the pressure all the way off .everything for rear is new except factory tee in rear . I have checked to see if there was a restriction in line,squirted good-amount not connected to caliper. shouldn't be this difficult...........

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Harumph. I'll have to keeping thinking about this one.

Tommy

MYMONTECARLO

Weekend Racer
Nov 7, 2008
CINCINNATI,OHIO
Well I'm finding things out about my system. My mastercylinder ended up being a strangemaster cylinder,not a wildwood said in kit,part # on side,confirmed talking to strange. Inspecting mastercylinder again out of car ,notice leaking through seal between resuviour and body housing for the front brakes. I shot air through to see if there was any material stuck in the line through the mastercylinder,there was in front brake line,just slightly restricting fluid through.. I'm now taking front lines off to shoot air through them also. The rears didn't have no material blocking fliud to rears,should I be save and try blowing air through rears ,just see if no restrictions?? But,I actually have seen fluid make to rear calipers??? Bye the way that mastercylinder is 1.032" that the sponsers also sell.

Kirbystud

Amateur Racer
Jul 10, 2007
Spencer Iowa
All of these brake problems are making wonder if I did the right thing. I to have got this kit with the 1.032 master cyl. I have not installed it yet and thinking maybe I souldn't....I have stock disc. up front and the rear has stock front calipers on the back also. Is this going to work or do I need to change something. The guy I got the car from did a nice job of putting the rear brake on so I was just going to leave them alone. Tommy you seem to be petty sharp on brake systems....Thanks

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Kirbystud said:
I have stock disc. up front and the rear has stock front calipers on the back also. Is this going to work or do I need to change something.

That's probably it. The master cylinder rear circuit isn't designed to move enough fluid volume to properly extend the larger front caliper pistons you have in the back, so I'm guessing the rear calipers aren't retracting enough to release & they're dragging.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!