Help < where to start , collision repair ?>

MalibuAB

Daily Driver
Aug 4, 2009
Ft. McMurray AB, CANADA
Hello,
If there are any body guys out there was wondering where to start my 1/4 panel repair. the panel is smashed in pretty bad and the rear trunk area behind the tail light is also pushed inwards. the light will not mount straight and i can see where the creases have occurred , but not sure how to repair this . im comfortable cutting out the old panel and replacing the panel , but not to sure what to do to pull out the damage !! just wondering where any of you guys would start ? thanks
RyanNicoandElena387.jpg

RyanNicoandElena386.jpg

RyanNicoandElena385.jpg

RyanNicoandElena384.jpg

RyanNicoandElena383.jpg

:(

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
IF I was going to repair it (and given the rot, I'd replace it if it was mine), I would start with tacking some pull tabs to the rear edge and try pulling it back slowly while hammer/dollying it to rough it in. Come-along and a stout post will work if you don't have a way to tie the car down for a floor pull or access to a bench rack.

Porta power would be second choice if you don't have a means to pull it.

MalibuAB

Daily Driver
Aug 4, 2009
Ft. McMurray AB, CANADA
Ok. That sounds like a good start so before cutting or removing any of the 1/4 panel , try to get the thing straight , yea i have access to a come a long or porta power so i will give that a shot , any tips are apreciated thanks alot !! :)

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
Yes, even if you were going to replace the panel, you would want to get it close...as it will help remove the secondary damage (rear panel, etc). Pull as much out as you can, then make a decision on repair vs. replace.

If you go slow and easy, even this is fixable....it was mashed pretty badly at the bodyside molding

apr1905.jpg

MalibuAB

Daily Driver
Aug 4, 2009
Ft. McMurray AB, CANADA
yea the car did take a pretty good hit there. i won't be able to try pulling this out for a couple of weeks but i will definatly try and then add some pic's. Any thoughts on the front fender ? salvgable ? the front is cruched pretty bad and just above the wheel well you can see a raised sort of "pinch" ?

79malibu350

Aug 24, 2010
MalibuAB said:
Any thoughts on the front fender ? salvgable ? the front is cruched pretty bad and just above the wheel well you can see a raised sort of "pinch" ?

i think i would just look for another fender if it were me. try to find one that looks original at a junk yard. especially if you decide to replace that rusty 1/4, you could probably get a better deal on several parts. i just dont think you could fix that for the time/money it would take to grab another one and relagate the damaged one to the "should the worst happen ill need this" pile.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!