Help with Autometer Tach

malibu1228

Frequent Racer
Dec 11, 2003
Lake Grove, NY
www.cardomain.com
So Im about ready to get the car back on the road and Im having some issues with this tach. The instructions say to hook it all up and turn the key on but dont start, then use the dial to set the shift light. They say that after this the tach will remember the shift point and work fine. I hooked the power wire to a switch real quick because Im having some ignition switch issues. I turned the switch on and set the shift point, then turned it off. Turned it back on and started the car, but the tach wont read, it keeps going into shift set mode. Any ideas on how to fix this?

A

Anonymous

don't the shiftlite tachs need a constant and an ignition power? If so....make sure you didn't put the switch on the constant power wire. otherwise it would be like unhooking it and starting all over every time you get in the car.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
78_Malibu_383 said:
don't the shiftlite tachs need a constant and an ignition power? If so....make sure you didn't put the switch on the constant power wire. otherwise it would be like unhooking it and starting all over every time you get in the car.

Nope, switched power only.

Either you're not pressing the correct sequence to set the tach from the get-go, or the tach is defective. My $.02

wiseman79

Top Fueler
Dec 18, 2004
Central Virginia
www.performancetech.net
I would check your signal wire to the Dist or ign box. That's how it realizes the engine is running and not just that the key is on. If it's not getting a signal from the dist it'll stay in the mode where you set the shift point.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts