Holley Street Avenger carburetor?

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I have a Holley Street Avenger carburetor that's a 660. Something is happening that seems unique. If the weather is warm it starts great with no issues. When it's cold weather it seems unique what's happening. I pump the accelerator then turn the key to start it. It starts but I have to hold the accelerator pedal down so it can run at 1600 rpms. While at 1600 it runs abit then the choke will lock in and stay stay connected until I until I kick it down with the accelerator. The puzzling point is that the choke won't set until the engine is running, but is fine after that. Any idea or opinions are appreciated.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I checked the choke out and it doesn't close all the way down, it stays open about a 1/4 inch. But when it gets running it gets running the throttle stays open at 1600 rpms until I kick it down.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I looked at a Holley video on setting the choke. Mine is set like it would be in California. I could set the butterfly to go further closed, but don't how that will work in warmer weather.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I tried to adjust the choke today. The butterfly wouldn't go down any lower so I put the choke cam back where it was. It still starts and runs well.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
When the engine is cold and you open the throttle a bit, and the choke closes, it won't close all the way? Very strange. Have you confirmed there is no binding in the linkage?

Did you rotate the plastic housing counter clockwise a bit to see if the choke works properly?

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I rotated the plastic housing and everything was working well and didn't move the butterfly further closed. I didn't find any binding in the linkage. I don't know what I'm doing but seems strange,that this only happens when it's real cold.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Here's a picture of the carburetor, with the choke set.
IMG_20220119_160523448.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!