Hood clearance w/truck engine??????

TurboBu

Daily Driver
Jul 13, 2009
Sw Missouri
Installing a completely stock '04 truck engine and 4l60 into a '79 Bu, pan, intake, alt, etc....... I put the stock(short) clamshells on some generic block plates with energy urethane mounts. Slid the engine back where I wanted it about 1/2" between the a/c compressor and crossmember and drilled new holes for mounts. Keep in mind this is a cut and hack cheap and quick as possible swap. Problem which I don't see can be avoided is: stock hood won't clear intake and alt. I see to budget solutions (1) notch cross member to lower engine another 1-1.25" (which will probably lead to a pan swap) (2) install a cowl hood and possibly camaro alt (not as stealthy), (3) car intake and move alt. Anyone want to tell me everything will fit as is, if I tune the engine position a little and change the alt or recommend choice 1, 2 or 3?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Have you taken a look through the threads for the MR Father/Son project? They put a stock 4.8/4L60E in their 'Bu. I believe it fit without the engine cover, but it was tight.
http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=34

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Yeah, we were able to run the stock hood with the cable throttle body. Not sure about DBW. Like Doob said, we were not able to use the Vortec intake cover. Alternator cleared on mine, though.

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
I will say that the motor mounts have alot to do with it as well. Motor mounts can cause fits because of how large/long or short/small they are. I got the long ones the first time, and they sat the truck intake too high, the second set, it worked much better :D

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Unless you are using a car intake I think the limiting factor is the intake and not the TB.

pmgm

Amateur Racer
Jun 2, 2007
OH
blubaldmontess said:
I will say that the motor mounts have alot to do with it as well. Motor mounts can cause fits because of how large/long or short/small they are. I got the long ones the first time, and they sat the truck intake too high, the second set, it worked much better :D

Hello, I'm in the process of gathering parts for the same swap 6.0/4l80. Can you tell me what motor mount plates you used,also where does your motor sit compared to stock location?

Thanks

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
I used the trandsapt motor mounts, the ones that sit the engine back 1". I've heard really good reviews about the ones BG sells on here. My motor has more room up front iwth the way it sits, but its close in some areas.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts