how many 8.8 Mustang rear ends?

big gear head

Daily Driver
Nov 3, 2010
Central City, KY
How many of you have installed the 8.8 Mustang rear end in your G body? Do you have any pictures? Did you have to change the lower controll arm brackets or did you use the Mustang brackets? What did you do about the difference in over all width of the rear ends? What parts were required for the swap? I already went through the 8.8 sticky and didn't seen everything that I was looking for.

sbcgbody355

Daily Driver
Oct 26, 2010
well i
Code:
f u wanted thier is a company called TRZ that makes a conversion kit comes with upper and lower control arms and whatever else u need then only thing u gatta do is weld on spring perch in the right location,,,,or u can use stock uppers and just get heim joint type adjustable lowers(alot cheaper this way) and for the different width's just use a stock fox body type rim i think they r 15x7 with 4.5 backspace,,,,i don't have pics right now but will try to get some,,,,some day,,,,

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
Someone said in an older thread TRZ quit selling the 8.8" swap parts because of Instant Center problems with UCA mount location on the 8.8". I don't see them on their site either.
Baseline does offer the parts tho'. http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/kits/chevy.htm
Need to weld Spring Pads & LCA mounts on the 8.8" + drill Axle flange for Chevy lug pattern. Some Stangs are 5-lug but smaller pattern.
Good Info here but, Pics are gone, may be able to get them sent. http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=17067#17067

sbcgbody355

Daily Driver
Oct 26, 2010
ppl say the instant center thing is a problem but really unless u have a 7 sec car i don't think its a big deal i used the stock g-body uppers and bolted right up to the 8.8 only thing it does is make it hook REALLY REALLY good,,,,and all u gatta do for the rims is get ford bolt pattern i got 4 lug mustang rims on my malibu

big gear head

Daily Driver
Nov 3, 2010
Central City, KY
So the stock upers work without modifications? I've got a friend who only deals in G body cars and parts. I'm going to see if he has a scrap frame that I can use to mock up this Mustang rear end that I have and see how hard it is to make it work.

Isn't there anyone else out there that has done this? I thought that this was a popular swap. I would like to know how many people have done this.

sbcgbody355

Daily Driver
Oct 26, 2010
gmust21.jpg

this is the kit from trz

labelblack68

Weekend Racer
Nov 28, 2010
myrtle beach, sc
just did this swap and it works great. used the stock lower gbody control arms and mustang length double adjustable upper control arms. Even the drive shaft did not have to be changed. Just used a ujoint out of the mustang and pressed into the factory driveshaft and used the mustang pinion flange to driveshaft. width on the rear was fine for a 15x8 with 4.5" backspacing.

big gear head

Daily Driver
Nov 3, 2010
Central City, KY
Thanks for the information.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!