How much power from a 6.0?

t72ss402

Amateur Racer
Aug 12, 2007
Springfield, MO
Ok I am starting to gather everything I need to do a budget transplant. Where I am looking at spending money is on cam, intake just to make a little more power. The car is going to be street drivin with very little track time.

What Kinda power would this combo make?
1. Stock 6.0 with LS6 cam and LS6 intake, this will be going through stock camaro exhaust manifolds.

2. Same as above but with GM hot cam.

3. Basically same as above but with 5.3 using the same parts.

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=576161#Post576161

You can read there what your trying to do.

I'd say that the first one sounds like the most stout, though if your going to use a truck block, the truck headers/manifolds I believe flow more than the car ones. I don't know if the hot cam is better or not, but I believe it is. As for the 5.3L, usually people that get that usually run a turbo build on them.

HTH

Otis

t72ss402

Amateur Racer
Aug 12, 2007
Springfield, MO
The truck manifolds do not fit in to the malibu. And right now it is just a little hard to shell out $450-$500 for headers.

Cam wise I just want something that has a good sound but very streetable.

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
I have the ls6 cam, its streetable, and I've got very little as far as different exhaust sounds. Somebody on here knows the numbers for the regular headers, 200-300 bucks, that will fit in the car. I bought the BRP ones, and yeah they were worth it.

t72ss402

Amateur Racer
Aug 12, 2007
Springfield, MO
Well I may just have to save a few more pennies and go for a set of BRP's.

Did they seal well with no leaks? They are a great looking header.

Does there shorties basically replace the exhaust manifolds? I mean do they bolt directly in place?

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
Sealed great, no problems, and had the expanded/ball flanges on them. I got the midlengths from BRP, 525/535 shipped to my door. The only problems I can recall were they needed a very tiny amount of massaging on the headers and I had to cut the dog ears off the trans because it was a 4l80 instead of 60.

They do bolt directly in place and will allow you to run o2 sensors in the back if you want, i did, and are a little bit longer than the stock manifolds. In the end you'll save as you only have to make one trip to the exhaust shop.

Like i said, if you ask around here though, you'll find that some of the regular headers for an fbody will fit as well, with a little massaging...but all and all its not bad. I know I'm running them as is boosted lq9 (I believe thats the screen name?)

t72ss402

Amateur Racer
Aug 12, 2007
Springfield, MO
What type of gas milage are you getting with the 4.11 geare ratio? I am running a stock monte ss rear with 3.73, and really hoping to get 20-22 miles per gallon.

That is why I am looking to get some of the basic LS1 stock stuff and up grading at a later date when funds approve. I am also working on my '72 Chevelle. And trying to sell '68 Cuda, If I can sell this car then the fund gods would be smiling in my favor cool.gif

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
with the 4l80 and the 6.0 motor, I am running right around 20 to 22 mpg, if I stay out of it, most of my driving is city--15 miles to work 4 highway and 11 city.

oh good deal on 6.0 motor:

http://nashville.craigslist.org/pts/1122787864.html

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!