How much will 10 bolt rear take

willtow

Daily Driver
Jul 9, 2012
I'm running (and have been ) running a 8.2 10 bolt from a 65 chevelle in my 79 malibu which is raced every weekend I built the rear last spring it has all new bearings ,Richmond 4.56 gear , moser mini spool,moser street series axles supposed to be 25-35% stronger than stock ,c clip eliminators and a cover with girdle? I leave at 2800rpm footbrake racing 60fts 1.55 I've got a Transbrake in the transmission I'm wanting to start playing with the converter goes 4200 and I'd be popping button 3200rpm Ive got iceman uppers and lower control arm with sway bar motors putting out 400+\- hp car weighs 3240 with me in it what's your thoughts on rear end most say it will be ok up to 550hp then others say it shouldn't hold up to what is doing now I got a real good deal on parts I built rear with and the housing was free got 500.00 at most invested and it's all good components that's why it's in there

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
nobody knows for sure exactly when it will let go but i do know one thing. I wouldn't have invested money into it in the first place.
brian

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Remember, the 8.2 is NOT the same as the 8.5.. IMHO, the money spent on an 8.2 upgrade could be better applied going to an 8.5, 12 bolt, 9" or Dana 60...

Tommy

lasttime78

Frequent Racer
Mar 7, 2011
Just outside Rochester, New York
A Rear end is only as good as the parts you put into it! Regardless what size, JD Racing and Resterations (Jim) says with right parts 7.5 will handle up to 800 horse. No problem? He more expierance than us he builds rear-end for people. [-X [-X [-X

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
lasttime78 said:
A Rear end is only as good as the parts you put into it! Regardless what size, JD Racing and Resterations (Jim) says with right parts 7.5 will handle up to 800 horse. No problem? He more expierance than us he builds rear-end for people. [-X [-X [-X

Does he have more experience than GM, who designed them to be used on a V6 Vega? #-o

Seriously, I'm not trying to insult Jim. Just making a joke.

Tommy

406Elcamino

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2006
i know a guy who has a 67 chevelle with a 8.2 10 bolt 308 gears factory posi and he raced it for years without breaking any parts he ran slicks as well but i think the real key was having the 100$ hayes clutch that would last a weekend of abuse.

he Went to a 12bolt 456 gears and some sort of posi and axles and it was nothing but breakage and everything being equal he blew the ring gear, spider gears, u-joints. Only difference was he put a center force clutch that really worked and it was entirely different

If it were me and i would do it again i would just order a 9" from quick performance and be done with it

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts