how to hook on the street?

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
I raced a friend last night with a 75 camaro and basically the same motor as me (489, solid roller, good heads) He has 4.10 gears and a glide with a 4000 stall. I have 3.50 gears with a turbo 350 and a 3000 stall. Both cars weigh the same. He had a 30 x 9 slick and i have 28 x 11.5 ET streets. He stuck like glue and i spun for 100 yards. He beat me by an easy 4 lengths. I gotta make this car hook. What tire will fit with a frame notch? Also will an anti-roll bar help for street traction? I have 15 x 8 wheels with 4 inch BS so with a notch i should be able to go to a 10 inch wheel with 6 inch BS? or maybe 5.5 BS?
thanks
Brian

royce0420

Weekend Racer
Jan 30, 2010
Natchez MS
the glide is what help him -he's not over power his tires do you have upper and lower control and good shocks anti-roll bar will help to

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
I've got a 9" with a detroit locker, edelbrock upper and lower tubular control arms, a stock sway bar with new rear shocks and CE drag shocks on the front. It hooks a the track, i ran 10.87 @ 124 with a 1.57 60 ft. but on the street no way. I'm thinking i might narrow the frame and see how big of slick i can get under there.
Brian

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
STREET.... [-X But if you must....get out and get some seat of the pants experience on what you CAN and CAN'T do with your power. Have you tried launching different RPM's, baby the off line launch and lean into it, as mentioned different tire pressure, tread compounds....street legal racing tires, or just run slicks....
What have you tried? it might get these guys more to think on. 8)

Good strip times though!!

Fla_G-body

Frequent Racer
Dec 4, 2008
Quincy,Fl.
get some tighter rear shocks and real soft front ones. Weight transfer is where its at.

v8power

Frequent Racer
Jul 24, 2008
okc
I love street racing. Pimp juice fo sure. Pm for info on it

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
most of the local cars that i race are running heavy doses of nitrous with slicks. I have to be able to hammer the throttle right off the line. Once a guy puts 2 or 3 lengths on you with a 10 second car its allmost impossible to catch him. I've been running ET streets on all my hotrods ever since i started playing with cars mainly because they are easy to find here in Canada but I think I'll be trying some slicks soon. I have a 180 hp shot of nitrous that i haven't used yet that could possibly put me into the high nines. That will definitly require slicks. I won't be using the nitrous on the street thats for sure. I 've done some checking and i think if i do a frame notch and move to a 15x10 wheel with about 5 or 5.5 backspacing then i should be able to run a 28 x 10.5 slick which is like 2 inches wider than a 28 x 11.5 ET street I think. The given sizes of ET streets don't seem to mean much.
Brian

7d8ss

Amateur Racer
Jan 29, 2005
Lexington, Ohio
If the guy is a friend, just ask him to trade his slicks & wheels for yours & re run. If you beat him by 4 cars, I would just get some 9" slicks. If not, you may need more than tires. ~ Jon

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!