How to Remove Glove Box Lock Without Key???

twfurst

Daily Driver
Apr 12, 2011
Norwich, CT
I am looking to see if anyone has any info on how to remove the lock from the glove box door WITHOUT having the key? I have read quite a few write ups and posts on the web that indicate the need to have the key in, and the lock "locked". I managed to lose the key over the past four years (ongoing project during a move). If it is not possible to do it the correct way, by using a paperclip to depress the tumblers, without the key, is it possible to remove without destroying the door itself, ie. drilling out the lock?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys have.

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Remove your door lock and take it to a locksmith to have a key made. This will only work if both of the locks door and glove box are original to the car. This should get you a door key and the glove box open.

twfurst

Daily Driver
Apr 12, 2011
Norwich, CT
Holy crap is it hard to find a locksmith who works on automotive locks. All the locksmiths I spoke to have gotten away from doing auto locks, and all recommend one guy, who is on vacation at the current time. Really hoping he can help, not wanting to have to replace the glove box door, and the door locks, and have different keys for both.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
that is odd :? ,i walked into a locksmith shop near my work with two glove box doors in hand to have keys made they said come back in 3 days.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i wonder if there's any difference doing that with the g body locks because they don't lock like the one in the video?

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
hopefully twfurst will try it and let us know if it works.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!