how to tell the difference between lq4 and lq9

STROKER_STEVE

Amateur Racer
Apr 21, 2009
montreal quebec canada
hi i am looking for a lq9 for my monte ss 1986 but i would like to know how to tell the difference between a lq4 and a lq9 by looking at them and in what year truck or car can i finf them?

thanks in advance! 8)

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortec

As for telling the difference in the two motors, its hard w/o looking at the casting numbers. I bought a book from Summit about the lsx swaps, it tells the difference but you have to use the code on the back of the engine, which means taking off the trans.

If your going to boost the motor you'll want the lq4 as it has a lower compression, the lq9 has a little more power, but the price that it may differ in could be what you get a cam or headers or something for. Good luck with your search and if you have any questions please ask

otis

STROKER_STEVE

Amateur Racer
Apr 21, 2009
montreal quebec canada
well i have a questions concerning the casting number what are the casting numbers for a good lq9 motor??? i am going to go thru the scrap yards looking for them!!! thanks again for your help!

BoostedbuLQ9

Amateur Racer
Dec 16, 2008
Ocean County, NJ
my understanding was 1 block is Aluminum and the LQ9 Block is an Iron Block.

Maybe i'm wrong but, thought LQ9 were Iron and good for boosted engines.

Ralph

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
lq4 and lq9 are both iron blocks. I'm going to get my book out and see what it says to look for as far as numbers. There are identifying numbers on the back of the block. You may want to go to your local book store or parts store to see if they have lsx based books, and usually it'll tell you inside the book how to identify.

alowerlevel

Frequent Racer
May 30, 2008
South Jersey 08109
BoostedbuLQ9 said:
my understanding was 1 block is Aluminum and the LQ9 Block is an Iron Block.

Maybe i'm wrong but, thought LQ9 were Iron and good for boosted engines.

Ralph
Nope both were iron blocks, same heads, same cranks, same rods, same blocks. The only difference was the pistons, the LQ4 had slightly dished pistons and the LQ9 had flat tops. Also the LQ4 is better in boosted applications because it has a lower compression ratio (9.4:1 vs. the LQ9's 10.1:1)

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
I was wrong as well, looking through the performance book I bought, basically it says that the engine numbers for lq4 and lq9 are the same, so you're going to have to take off heads to check pistons, or find one that comes out of the right vehicle for an lq9

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts