How to wire elec. factory door locks

charasmatic

Amateur Racer
Aug 30, 2006
Ct.
I bought power doors for my 80 malibu .The harness is in the doors but the car wasn't equipped for power. Does anyone have a clue???

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
The wiring is time consuming, but it's not very difficult so long as you make sure you wire everything securely/correctly.

Ok, it looks like there's a relay for them, though I don't know if it's a readily (like the typical SPDT you always see) available one. I wouldn't wire the lock motors directly to the switches, as you may wind up burning the switches up (or in an extreme case, melting something or starting a fire). If it really comes down to it though, you could wire up a pair of DPDT relays (one for lock, one for unlock), and they'll do basically the same thing.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Here ya go... just kinda whipped it up :p The way the circuit works is that under normal conditions the lock button will lock all the locks. If the unlock button is pressed (even while the lock button is held down), the circuit to lock the doors will be interrupted, and polarity will be reversed on the motors, causing the doors to unlock.
img002-1.jpg

Hope this helps :)

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Did a little looking since I had some immediate interest in this myself, and found this:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1419577&parttype=3656&a=FRc1419577k1002085
RY-547_TOP.jpg
RY-547_FULL.jpg

RY-547_BRACKET.jpg
RY-547_TERMINAL.jpg

Supposedly it's the lock relay that's required for the circuit to work normally. You could most likely find this relay in the other 2-door power lock cars (along with the plug you would need to for a factory type connection), but if it winds up not working, this is probably the going price for a new one.

charasmatic

Amateur Racer
Aug 30, 2006
Ct.
Man I appreciate it.

Thank you very much. Now I just have to find a G-Body in my area with power doors.lol

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!