Hp question on new bbc

Ricks79bu

Daily Driver
May 19, 2012
So I just got my bbc running and it runs very strong for the little bit it has been driven. Motor still being broken in. It has only seen half throttle so far. My question is what is everyones guess on hp and tq it might be putting out. Here are the engine specs off the top of my head. Balanced bottom end with 10:3.1 compression. Holley 850. Torqer 2 manifold. Comp cam 292h. 781 heads with bigger valves and some slight porting with the bowls cleaned up some. I was wondering if any one had a idea on what kinda power this motor has got to it? Any insight would be great or suggestions as to what improvements you guys might suggest. Thanks. If there is anything else I left out about the motor please let me know.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Knowing the cubic inch may help my opinion.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
Yeah, 5-525 is possible.

Redline396

Amateur Racer
Oct 21, 2008
clifton, nj
is there a reason you used the torker two(like hood clearance)?i would have gone with a vic jr or a weiand team g with a 4 hole 1 inch tappered spacer.....the spacer will help your booster signal in the lower end and lengthen the runners for a better mid and top end......with a little bit more tuning you can get a bit more out of it.......also what kind of ignition?how much timing?.......also did you have the block decked to tighten up the squish(quench area)? tell me , tell me ,i am all about big blocks....lol....i have a similar build and my bu runs like a scalded dog....lol...can spin the tires at will with little effort in any gear with a bf g 275/60-15 radial ta at 22 psi and a 4.11 rear......oh btw about 500-525 on your build...lol...

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I'm on board with the 500-525 power range, too...

Tommy

Ricks79bu

Daily Driver
May 19, 2012
The torker is just what I had extra sitting on the shelf. I would like to swap it out for a air gap rpm. As for timing im not 100% sure as my buddy at a shop set it up. It has a new msd hei setup. Block and heads where not milled down. Has a th350 behind it with a 3200 stall and 4:10 in the rear. 275/60/15 et streets that fit just right. In the process of getting this holley 850 tuned and jetted.

Redline396

Amateur Racer
Oct 21, 2008
clifton, nj
big blocks run real good with tighter quench and are a little less prone to detonation(ping)and more efficient with mid 10 comp. ratios.........the good news is you can tighten it up with out re-machining a fresh motor............ideal quench would be from .040 to .045........depends on who's piston your using...most fall in at .020 to .025 down the bore at tdc(i would measure with a depth mic)......you can use a cometic head gasket to make up the differance and get the quench you would be looking for.....they can make any gasket , any bore, any thickness you want .......just a little food for thought if you ever decide to tighten the squish.........i dont mind sharing a little info with my fellow malibu brothers......the rpm air gap is a good street manifold...with that manifold you can use a 1 inch open spacer to get a little more top end out of it........lots of tuning tricks you can do to get more out of your combo.......just take your time,it will all come together......keep us posted. ken

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts