In the cowl hood market...

RATFINK!!!

Daily Driver
Mar 24, 2011
Franklin, OH.
www.facebook.com
I knew it was going to happen and it did. After sitting the BBC in the Malibu the stock flat hood will not shut. I am now in the market for a 2" or 2 1/2" cowl hood. It must be a bolt on unit as I am trying to keep this thing looking factory. I would like it to be a steel hood, but that is not set in stone as long as the glass unit looks and fits GOOD. Don't want to have to spend a week doing body work and getting it to fit.

Question, Who has a KICKIN cowl hood that you would recommend?

TIA, Don

RATFINK!!!

Daily Driver
Mar 24, 2011
Franklin, OH.
www.facebook.com
t5montecarlo said:
There are others with a BBC and flat hood. Perhaps your intake is just too high. You may have to compromise between stock looking and intake height.

I run a Performer RPM Airgap intake which is the same height as a Performer RPM so it looks like I'm going to have to use a 2" cowl hood which is not a huge deal as long as I don't have to run a 4 or 5 inch hood.

zapc

Daily Driver
Dec 8, 2010
I have a bbc in my 84 elcamino with an rpm airgap manifold if u use a proform drop base aircleaner it just fits under stock hood, and i mean just barely fits, but its how i run mine

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
It should fit wiht a stock BBC drop base open element air cleaner, too. My choice for a steel hood would be Goodmark. GM resto parts approved.

Tommy

RATFINK!!!

Daily Driver
Mar 24, 2011
Franklin, OH.
www.facebook.com
It's not going to fit. The hood won't close with just a 2" carb. stud in the carb. I just ordered a AMD steel bolt on unit. $523 to my door. Goodmark seems to be hit and miss on fitment, AMD appears to have no complaints on quality or fit. Now I need to take it down to my Painter on Retainer and have some 97 Lexus Brandywine shot on it, and bolt it on. Thanks everyone for the advice.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Just read a LOT of "Goodmark vs. AMD" stuff & it looks to me like the general line of thought is that AMD is better sheetmetal. I spoke to Mike Gray @ AMD. He says they have their own tooling, but the stuff is stamped out of coutnry. No one at Goodmark would tell me whose tooling is used...

I guess I'll be going with AMD when I get my hood!

Tommy

RATFINK!!!

Daily Driver
Mar 24, 2011
Franklin, OH.
www.facebook.com
I spoke to a lot of people running both, and they all stated that Goodmarks quality has fallen way off. I had an issue with AMD stamping their products off shore and I let them know the same when I spoke to them, but in the end I want the best product availible for my rig, and it appears that AMD is just that.

JBreu

Frequent Racer
Jan 31, 2010
Livonia. New York
I have the goodmark 2" steel bolt on from a Goodmark dealer in my area for $450.00 and love the looks of it!!
Paintprogress059.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!