Is a T5 really that hard to find???

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Ever since I came across an article where a T5 was built for ~500lb.ft. of torque in a G-Body weight car, I've been watching for them for a suitable start... far as I can tell, the main difference externally is tailshaft configuration, and bellhousing pattern (GM 4-cyl, GM V6/8, and Ford), but theoretically all the hard parts would interchange. Am I right here? I can't seem to find any from a later T5 equipped F-body (best option, World Class and the right bellhousing pattern to fit a G-Body bellhousing), so I'm also considering the 2.8/T5 equipped vehicles, since the bell housing pattern would be the same... the kit from G-Force includes the input shaft, so I don't have any concern there.

G-Force's page

Pricing... there is another GM kit with wider gearing also, about $200 more.

Last edited by a moderator:

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Yes, a 1988-1992 F body V8 T5 is hard to find. I have only had 2 of them.

I have one from a 1993 F body, but it has a Ford main case (GM changed their design in 1993 when the V8 got a T56 and they kept the T5 on the V6).

The 1988-1992 F body V6 T5 is not a WC design; it is still the NWC design.

So, the hard part is getting a GM T5 WC main case.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I think there is a solution. Jeeps came with a Chevrolet 151 and a T5. The T5 used the Ford-style case. The fork window is is lowered.

I haven't had one of these in my hands, but I bet the fork ballstud is in the same position as the 1984-1988 Corvette and the 1982 F body, meaning it would work for you. Just pay close attention to the distance from the pilot hole to the fork ballstud to be sure the fork geometry will be the same.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I'm really wondering how much ahead I would be trying to piece one of these together. I've found a place or two that sells Chevy cases, but I'm sure they don't always have one available, and they aren't really any cheaper than a complete T5 from the junkyard. Add in a full rebuild kit (looks like another $300+), the 2.94:1 1st gear G-Force kit ($1500+), and it's coming up on the cost of just buying one already built :x I may wind up just going with a T56 after all :? They're semi-strong to start with, and an LS1 T56 will bolt right up to older Chevy bellhousings with an adapter plate, so I can easily use the stock G-Body piece.

87SS-ZZ3

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2004
Pantego, NC
I have a friend with a World class T5 from an IROC that he wants to sell. It's been rebuilt with no miles on it. I can get more info if you want. I have a few cases somewhere too. I think they were V6 models.

87SS-ZZ3

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2004
Pantego, NC
All of the T5's I had were from Camaros. I didn't say the cases I have were WC. The rebuild one is a WC.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts