Is there an 8.8 or 9" or even 12-bolt that is correct width?

brrymnvette

Frequent Racer
Oct 18, 2004
St Louis, MO
Does anyone know if an 8.8 or 9" or even a 12 bolt that is the correct width from the factory for the Malibu's? Moving/re-welding brackets isn't that much of a concern, just getting the rear narrowed/lengthened adds a bunch of $$$ to the build.

PAHR

Amateur Racer
Oct 1, 2005
Tennessee
Re: Is there an 8.8 or 9" or even 12-bolt that is correct wi

This link should help ya some:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

If I remember correctly, a G-body 7.5/8.5 are 54" inside of hub to inside of hub, so if that is right, the Explorer 8.8 which is stronger with the 31 splined axles, would be the right size, and if your lookin to narrow one, as I'm gettin ready to do, it's fairly easy & cheap to do what I'm doin, and that is usin 2 right side axles and centerin the chunk, that allows me to run my 15X12 Draglites with 7.5" BS with 28X15.50's and get them inside the wheelwells WITHOUT tubbin. \:D/

Pic:
Kevinscellpicsofmeats1.jpg

Kevinscellpicsofmeats2.jpg

750pixFrontsinstalled1219091.jpg

GOOD LUCK with your build!

BTW: This 94 Ranger XLT will be BOWTIED!!! dancin_banana.gif

dhearn

Daily Driver
Jul 11, 2009

I have a 79 Malibu and I used a ford 9" from a 79 Lincoon Versie, I think thats how its spelled, Its also a disc brake rear. you will have to weld all the correct parts on to the reat but they work great.

brrymnvette

Frequent Racer
Oct 18, 2004
St Louis, MO

dhearn said:
I have a 79 Malibu and I used a ford 9" from a 79 Lincoon Versie, I think thats how its spelled, Its also a disc brake rear. you will have to weld all the correct parts on to the reat but they work great.
I actually have that exact rear sitting in the garage. Just haven't measured it yet.

80-383

Daily Driver
Sep 24, 2008

My 9 inch came out of a 55 - 57 ford 500. It is the same exact width from outer drum to drum. The only problem is the center section is offset so the drive shaft will be centered. My upper ear brackets had to be fabbed differently and my sway bar wont fit now but so far so good without it.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass

PAHR said:
This link should help ya some:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

If I remember correctly, a G-body 7.5/8.5 are 54" inside of hub to inside of hub, so if that is right, the Explorer 8.8 which is stronger with the 31 splined axles, would be the right size, and if your lookin to narrow one, as I'm gettin ready to do, it's fairly easy & cheap to do what I'm doin, and that is usin 2 right side axles and centerin the chunk, that allows me to run my 15X12 Draglites with 7.5" BS with 28X15.50's and get them inside the wheelwells WITHOUT tubbin. \:D/

Pic:
Kevinscellpicsofmeats1.jpg

Kevinscellpicsofmeats2.jpg

750pixFrontsinstalled1219091.jpg

GOOD LUCK with your build!

BTW: This 94 Ranger XLT will be BOWTIED!!! dancin_banana.gif
:shock: \:D/ :shock:

barnym17

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2008
ohio

Lincoln Versailles rear is perfect width, put one in mine fits like a glove.If you use the stock round disc coupler on the rear the stock drive shaft even fits with no mods other than adapter joint to put the driveshaft flange on.Most lincolns used this arrangement no u -bolts to break.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts