Issues with raised exhaust ports on big blocks

78ZZ4

Daily Driver
Sep 10, 2007
Staten Island. NY
Before I go and buy a set of heads with .600 raised ports, did anybody ever have any issues with header fitment? I have the Hooker slip tube big block swap headers (2241 i think) and straight 3.5 inch duals that dump before the rear.

Damon

Pro Stocker
Feb 7, 2005
Philly Area
I can't speak for that particular set of headers in a G-body but all the usual problems you can imagine can happen.

I had to dimple a tube to clear my steering column and flatten one side of another tube to clear the kick-pan part of the florrpan in my truck when I used AFR heads (raised abnout .500" over stock, if memory serves) and a set of Hooker Super Comp headers.

One piece of advice- if your engine mounts are worn out replace them FIRST before you try to install the headers. Make sure everything's where it's supposed to be before you start trying to fit up a new set of headers.

Also- if you have any brackets that tie in on an exhaust manfiold bolt you should be prepared to alter that bracket as well.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
If it was me, I would stick to a .300-.375 head like the Dart Pro 1 heads. I have them in my Chevelle and headers were enough of a battle in that car.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!