Late model (2004) wheel studs

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
Doober said:
It just has steel wheels, and Autozone's site says 100 regardless of wheel material. Checked for my truck (1/2 full size) and it says 120.

Most manufactures are going to call for 90 ft lbs on aluminum wheels, 100 on steel.

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
Alldata's torque specs for a 2004 Buick Rendezvous are 100ft/lbs, no matter the type of wheel

you can buy three torque sticks 80, 100, and 120ft/lbs and you will have what you need to do 99% of the vehicles you will ever work on

GM doesn't have different specs depending on wheel type btw

someone got happy with the impact and deformed the threads/weakened the stud

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
That's my thought. I was almost positive whichever one he ran down with the impact (at least that I saw) was fubar'd, just from watching him :x

Anyway, they made good on the 2 initial studs, and the 3rd I broke trying to install a nut that was already threaded on at least 2-3 threads' worth.

I'll also note that the first guy I'd talked to said they'd replace them, no question. A second guy (I'm thinking first guy was a supervisor, second was a manager, or something to that extent) was the one that made the "this time" comment. He seemed to be in a better mood when I came back to drop the car off though.

I may go back, but I'll be right there to make sure they don't mess stuff up... for one because I have wheel locks and don't want them using an impact on THAT [-X

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
You would also be suprised how many "techs" (read newbies) put the lug nut on with the impact....without starting by hand first! Looks like it may have broken off before it even reached the wheel. I ALWAYS hand thread the lugnuts on ALL the way then tighten them down. Probably overkill but I've never messed one up in 20 years...

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I don't use an impact most of the time, start it by hand, then use a socket/extension as a 'spinner' of sorts because 90% of the time it's easy enough to thread on... go through with a breaker bar at roughly half the torque needed, set the car on the ground and torque to spec.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!