Light weight Spindles and brakes

ra462

May 1, 2006
Kind of new here and tried to do a search without luck. I have seen pictures 64-72 GM A-body spindles on G-Body cars with TRZ control arms. I use stock lower control arms, Speedway Motor upper control arms, and 2” drop spindles and want to upgrade to Wilwood brakes. Can I use the A-Body spindles with the control arms I have and use the Wilwood kit for an A-Body? I would think this would be lighter. Do I need to replace the ball joints? I have a homemade rack and pinion setup in the car with a bump-steer kit. Works good but I stepped up the power, added a little weight, and think I may need to have better than stock brakes. I’m always looking to drop weight off this thing. Race weight was 2865 last year and ran a best of 9.61 @ 139.8. Should be 9.30/9.40’s this year.

Thanks for the help!
Todd

ILLEGAL REGAL

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jan 1, 2005
Tinley Park,IL
its the 1st gen F body spindles being used. You can use them with your setup, just need to swap the upper balljoint for a 1st gen f-body balljoint. You'd also need some trz billet steering arms and for your rack you'll need longer tie rod ajusters because unlike g-body spindles where the steering arm is curved towards the center of the car the trz arm is not curved at all. And brakes for a 1st gen as well will be needed.

Benefits are shedding a few lbs of weight, I believe its around 15lbs for the spindle setup total. And aftermarket brakes on a g-body spindle pushes the track width out around 1/2" but by using the camaro spindle the width is only widened around 3/8".

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts