lightweight springs for glass hood

Redcutlass

Amateur Racer
Sep 28, 2003
Ft Walton Beach FL
I've been told that you should use lighter springs when using a glass hood or the hood may bow up. Anyone have any experience with this? Got me a VFN glass 4" cowl hood and want to do it right. I know that Olds had aluminum hoods on some Cutlasses these are probably what I'll need--any ideas? Thanks.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
i didnt even use lighter springs i just did away with them and use a prop rod.

80montecarlo

Dragway Regular
Apr 24, 2008
cloverdale b.c. canada
bowtie81 said:
i didnt even use lighter springs i just did away with them and use a prop rod.

thats the way to do it, or make a push pin that locks the spring in the up position but you might forget about it and break the hood

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
A third thought, seen it a few times lately, use the little gas shocks, I know you'd have to do a little custom bracket making....but it'd look good. I've got the prop rod right now, but it doesn't give the front a clean look. The idea about push pins is pretty good too.

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
what i did was removed the spring winding ,,,,mounted the hinges on car and hood opened the hood as far as hinges would go then drilled a hole through both pieces of hinge and used a decent size cotter pin to hold hood up did both hinges gives it a clean look and works well

A

Anonymous

Seen GP with 3rd gen camaro hood hinges and the gas struts on a 4'' glass hood. He had to do some mods to make them work.

amgentry

Amateur Racer
Jan 13, 2009
Louisville Kentucky
79izfine said:
what i did was removed the spring winding ,,,,mounted the hinges on car and hood opened the hood as far as hinges would go then drilled a hole through both pieces of hinge and used a decent size cotter pin to hold hood up did both hinges gives it a clean look and works well

I did this as well. Takes 5 mintues and is a clean look and holds the hood easily!!

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
amgentry said:
79izfine said:

I did this as well. Takes 5 mintues and is a clean look and holds the hood easily!!

X 3...........first time the wind caught the hood and lifted it off the prop rod convinced me it was time for this mod.

toxicbu

Frequent Racer
Feb 25, 2009
romeoville il
i used a s10 hood rod

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
I have the prop rod for now but the pin sounds like a good idea.
I know this won't work on g bodys but we put trampoleen(sp) springs on a freinds Nova.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!