Looking for advice

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
I am putting together my 83 Malibu wagon as several of you already know.

I am sticking a 90 model truck TBI 350 and a th350 transmission, but only until my stroker motor and 700r4 are built, probrably next year. I have no money in either, only time (bought car, pulled motor, sold body for original price). I am going to leave them how they are for now to get it running, but I am really wanting more. Ultimately, I think this motor will probrably be going into my brown truck so I am looking to go ahead and do a little work to it once I get everything running.

I have a set of vortec 062 heads, with around 200 miles on them since they were completely redone (paid $240 for them). My motor has 25,000 miles on it, and after using my buddies bore scope, I don't see how. This thing looks brand new. I have descided I want to put some better heads on my 389 stroker motor, so these vortec heads are just sitting. So hear is my question

If I put these heads on my motor, I want to stick a cam in at the same time. The car will be street driven, and I don't want to have to change the cam out if I put this motor in my truck. What cam will be a good cam for this match? I want something that will make it talk (lopey), and take advantage of the heads. I really don't want to have to run a stall, but not 100% against it. I am considering changing out the springs to something that will allow me to run a little more lift.

Also, for the cost, what advantage will I see in changing the motor over to a roller?

What intake would be recommended for the setup?

The the guy I got the motor (in the car) from said it was a MILD 350, implying that it might have a cam in it now. Other then that, the motor is completely stock.

I will be running a set of mid length headman headers on my wagon (cause I have them), with true dual exhaust with a x-pipe.

If someone would like to offer their advice, and give me a ball park on what kind of output (hp/tq) to espected from their recommended setup, that would be awesome.

I figure that I can change the cam (flat tappet, install the heads, get a vortec style intake and possibly a new carb, in the the price range of $500. I figure changing over to a roller will add another $300 to the overall price.

Am I incorrect in my thinking here?

Malibu355

Pro Stocker
Feb 21, 2009
La Marque, Texas
IMO, if you are building another motor for the car save your money and put it into the stroker. Just build the 350 stock or a hair over stock. Don't waste your money on the roller set up for nearly stock motor. A chevy doesnt take much to get it lopey, look online and find a mild cam if you want but just go back with flat tappet lifters. Just my opinion.

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
Malibu355 said:
IMO, if you are building another motor for the car save your money and put it into the stroker. Just build the 350 stock or a hair over stock. Don't waste your money on the roller set up for nearly stock motor. A chevy doesnt take much to get it lopey, look online and find a mild cam if you want but just go back with flat tappet lifters. Just my opinion.

That's really what I was thinking, but I know there are some people out there that believe only in roller motors. I wouldn't mind spending the extra money since I have a few other vehicles that are potential candidates for a low mileage motor.

Anyone know a good cam to work with the vortec heads.

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
I am considering something like the comp cam xe268 or the voodoo around the same specs. Can I get away with this on stock vortec heads? If not what will I need?

cutlass389

Frequent Racer
Feb 2, 2009
NC
The Thumpr cam from Comp is just about perfect for vortec heads. It comes in flat, retro, and roller flavors. The split is right up vortecs alley and a 107 LSA will make it talk( and incredible midrange). The prob is if the springs and guides and seals are stock they max out at .474" lift. I think the Thumpr is about .511-.503 lift.

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
cutlass389 said:
The Thumpr cam from Comp is just about perfect for vortec heads. It comes in flat, retro, and roller flavors. The split is right up vortecs alley and a 107 LSA will make it talk( and incredible midrange). The prob is if the springs and guides and seals are stock they max out at .474" lift. I think the Thumpr is about .511-.503 lift.

What is the cheapest or should I say cost effective way to achieve more lift from these heads? I have read about a million different ways to do it. Will springs and rockers be enough or what?

I am trying not to invest silly money here. I am really wanting to keep the swap under $500.

NEW2MALIBU

Dragway Regular
Mar 5, 2007
idaho
Jump onto the comp cams web site and d/l camquest 6. You can enter you combination and see the different results. After looking around at a few sites where guys were using the xe268 they seemed to be pretty happy with the results using Vortec heads. As far as the roller cam goes I just built my first motor using a roller setup. Its awesome, the throttle response is right now. The problem is the cost. I think $300+ for the cam, another $500+ for the lifters, and $300+ for the roller rockers. I used the comp cams retro roller on my 383. Am I right in assuming your truck motor already has a roller in it? If so all you need is a cam. Can't you use a GMPP Hot Cam? They are like $250 +or-. I also think if you have stock springs on your Vortec they are only good for.475 lift. Just shooting out some ideas.
Mitch

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
NEW2MALIBU said:
Jump onto the comp cams web site and d/l camquest 6. You can enter you combination and see the different results. After looking around at a few sites where guys were using the xe268 they seemed to be pretty happy with the results using Vortec heads. As far as the roller cam goes I just built my first motor using a roller setup. Its awesome, the throttle response is right now. The problem is the cost. I think $300+ for the cam, another $500+ for the lifters, and $300+ for the roller rockers. I used the comp cams retro roller on my 383. Am I right in assuming your truck motor already has a roller in it? If so all you need is a cam. Can't you use a GMPP Hot Cam? They are like $250 +or-. I also think if you have stock springs on your Vortec they are only good for.475 lift. Just shooting out some ideas.
Mitch

Only car 350's got rollers, trucks didn't get rollers until 96. It has the boss in the block for rollers, but they have standard lifters in there. I know that from parts interchange working at a salvage/core yard. It's the aftermarket internals that baffle me :shock:

NEW2MALIBU

Dragway Regular
Mar 5, 2007
idaho
Only car 350's got rollers, trucks didn't get rollers until 96. It has the boss in the block for rollers, but they have standard lifters in there. I know that from parts interchange working at a salvage/core yard. It's the aftermarket internals that baffle me :shock:

Well then at least the block will accept the roller lifters. Since that is the case I think you can get the cam and lifters for around $550. Still not cheap. My motor being a 72' 350 4 bolt main out of a gruman bread truck I had to get the retro setup (not cheap).

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts