Lowering 1979 Malibu

pat1979 malibu

Daily Driver
Jul 16, 2010
Mount Ephraim,NJ
Hey guys just wondering what is recommended for getting a 1-1\2 -2" drop on my Malibu? Thanks

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Replaced all four my trimmed Moog springs (F body rears) last fall with a set of Detroit Speed 2" drop springs. Stance was great with my OLD springs but thought is was lower than 2". Didn't have any front travel left as I was always on the stock rubber bump stops. The rear F Body springs where trimmed, sat pretty good and with a slight rake. I could still have two people in the back seat WITHOUT bottoming out.

After installing the D.S. 2" drop springs the front was where it was before (nothing gained) and the rear was slightly lower. Car sits level now. Can't have two people in the back seat anymore without the upper control arms bottoming on the rearend bushing ears. Rears are allot softer than the trimmed (increased spring rate) F Body's were. I'll leave the fronts alone for now but will go back to the F Body springs in the rear.

If it were me, I'd stick with 1" maybe 1 1/2" drop springs. Just my .02

~JM~

Weekend Racer
Aug 28, 2011
I plan on using this spring kit when the time comes: JEGS Performance Auto Parts

I received positive feedback on the quality of the springs & the amount of drop. I've used Eibach springs on motorcycles before & have been pleased. You might try shopping around with Summit, etc, to find a better price. I just noticed while posting this link that the price has gone up. They used to be less than $300 last time that I looked.

Good luck & please let us know the results.

Last edited by a moderator:

pat1979 malibu

Daily Driver
Jul 16, 2010
Mount Ephraim,NJ
Thanks for letting me know about bottoming out on 2" drop. I just put 17x7 and 18x8 rallies on it. The 2" drop would look bad a$$ but maybe I'll try 1" drop and see how it looks, worst case maybe I'll have to trim a touch off. Tfanks

pat1979 malibu

Daily Driver
Jul 16, 2010
Mount Ephraim,NJ
Yeah that would probably keep the ride nice, does anyone know the part # of bell tech spindles i would need? I thought i read somewhere that s10 were the same and cheaper $$, does part # 2100 sound right?Thanks

~JM~

Weekend Racer
Aug 28, 2011
I recall that there is some type of problem with the earliest G-body spindle diameter not matching the after-market or S10 drop spindles. I can't recall the specifics or the years, but you should look into it. The S10 drop spindles will fit the '87 G-body.

pat1979 malibu

Daily Driver
Jul 16, 2010
Mount Ephraim,NJ
I think that maybe 1978 only but hopefully someone out there knows for sure.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
pat1979 malibu said:
I think that maybe 1978 only but hopefully someone out there knows for sure.
I've heard that too,it's something along the lines of the 78's had a wheel bearing size all to themselves.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
pat1979 malibu said:
Yeah that would probably keep the ride nice, does anyone know the part # of bell tech spindles i would need? I thought i read somewhere that s10 were the same and cheaper $$, does part # 2100 sound right?Thanks
my bell tech paperwork shows:2100-3100 Chevrolet 2wd s-10/s-15 pick up/blazer/jimmy,general motors g-body rear wheel drive cars

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!