LQ4 guys come on in, need opinions

64malibu79

Amateur Racer
Aug 23, 2006
Brandywine, MD
I am in the process of getting my parts list together for my LQ4 buildup and I'm at a cross road and not sure weather to make a left or right, here are the details:

I plan on picking up a iron headed LQ4 but I'm not sure if I should go the L92 Al head route or stay with the iron head. There has been two articles in Car Craft with both cases. I'm trying to maximize my dollar the first time around and there appears to be more value by going the L92 route. Part of what is tripping me up is the L92 route gives up a bit of power down low over the iron head until around 4800 rpm or so then it takes off but has to rev up to 6800 to make peak hp and 5400 for peak tq.

The dollar difference between not going L92 and going L92 from the start is approx 1k, more if start with iron heads and then go L92 like 1700.

This is going in my 64 malibu and won't be a race car more of a street cruiser.
Guys LMK what you think or if I'm not looking at this right or missing something.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
IMHO, stay with the stock heads especially if it's a street cruiser. You'll be amazed at the amount of power the thing has, the driveability and even the gas mileage compared to our old small blocks. If you were going to race it or looking for that last bit, I'd say upgrade. Just my .02

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts