LS1 T56 swap - how to pull out old column shifter?

CruizinKev

Frequent Racer
i'm new to these things, i looked at my steering column and wondered how to remove the old shifter on the column. my 79 monte carlo had a 305 with automatic transmission. any write-ups with pics? thanks!

kuruption109

Dragway Regular
Sep 14, 2009
highland, ca
theres a pin type of thing holding the shifter on the column if u push it out the shifter comes right off should be silver

CruizinKev

Frequent Racer
ah okay thanks! and is there a way to convert the column shift to a floor shift? I mean I don't want to swap a floor shift column in.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Yeah, it's already on the transmission ;) The only way to convert it would be to either take the column apart yourself and convert the existing column (good luck with that, especially in Germany!), or swap out the column for a floor shift. Also know the automatic and manual floor shift columns are different, there is a little tab on the manual columns to keep the ignition key from turning all the way back before you're ready to take it out.

Deuce4935

Frequent Racer
Nov 19, 2007
Chicago, Il
get you a grinder or sawzall of some type and cut nub on the column where the shifter goes. You can then use some bondo or body filler, smooth it out and paint it. Get you a console and floor shifter, cut a hole and run the shifter cable. If you do it this way everything will work accordingly, reverse lights, neutral safety, and etc. I learned the hard way when converting my Malibu over to a floor shifter, and of course I would then stumble upon this info after spending too much money, time, and patience trying to get it correct.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts