lug nuts for spare

built

Dragway Regular
Apr 15, 2005
ohio
I have weld pro stars all around on my malibu but the front wheels are the stock 7/16" wheel studs and the rear studs are 5/8" , the rear wheel have been reamed a bit to allow new lug nuts to fit right against the wheel and not the traditional type that the round portion goes through the whel opening.

My question is this, what kind of spare wheel do i need for in the trunk, will a stock chevy wheel fit the new rear studs and also the fronts ?

What lug nuts do i need, Do i get spare acorn type stockers for the front and acorn type dirt track nuts for the rear ? But I guess that would work for a stock gm wheel but not for a flat wheel like another weld star type that uses flat washer and nuts that go thru the holes.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Sounds like what you need is the proper nut for the wheel (probably regular acorns), and a set of nuts for the front and rear.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
USE THE PRPOER LUGS ON THE REAR WHEELS!! You're inviting a broken stud & possible loss of a wheel doing what you did. Those wheels need the through-hole lug bolts with washers, not angle seat acorn nuts!!

built

Dragway Regular
Apr 15, 2005
ohio
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/65120/10002/-1?parentProductId=1223958

This what i have on the rear now with the supplied lugnuts, this was recommended from a local speed shop over the 1/2" studs i did have.

so if i use a stock style wheel that uses a factory acorn for the front and then get a set of dirt track stock nuts for the rear like this.. would i be ok?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/46310/10002/-1?parentProductId=747298

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
The dirt track lug nuts are a no-go on those Welds. Unfortunately you can't use any "acorn" or tapered seat nuts on those Welds. You're stuck with either the proper nuts with the built-in centering shoulder or the stud kit with the spacers, washers & flat seat nuts.

Tommy

built

Dragway Regular
Apr 15, 2005
ohio
I am using the kit i posted with the rear welds now, they are proper right ?

I was thinking to use the dirt track lugnuts I posted for a stock spare wheel on the back with the studs that came with the kit above.

Is that correct then?

z28krazy

Amateur Racer
Apr 10, 2010
New Braunfels, Texas
built said:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/65120/10002/-1?parentProductId=1223958

This what i have on the rear now with the supplied lugnuts, this was recommended from a local speed shop over the 1/2" studs i did have.

I don't think those wheels locate on the center hub, they locate on all 5 studs. The original Weld nuts and washers located the wheel on the studs by the Weld factory controlling the stud hole size to fit their lug nuts that go thru the wheel. There is very little play once all 5 nut/washer assemblies are installed. I've seen Welds on dragsters using the same setup you have now, so I think yours will live on the street. Don't go racing though.

built said:
so if i use a stock style wheel that uses a factory acorn for the front and then get a set of dirt track stock nuts for the rear like this.. would i be ok?

You'll be alright with the fronts with factory type acorns, but the rear presents a problem. Your 5/8 studs are 3/16 in diameter bigger than stock studs and they're also too long for cone nuts. Drilling out the spare wheel will probably not leave enough material for the cone nuts to find anything to grip. You might try buying an extra set of the 5/8 spacers and have one end machined to fit the spare, then use the 5/8 flat nuts you have now.

built

Dragway Regular
Apr 15, 2005
ohio
The speed shop use the same set up on my rear on their rail and they said i should be able to race also.

I placed a 5/8 dowel rod thru a stock wheel hole and it seems to fit so thats why i was thinking the cone type dirt track nut would work since i can't find any other lug nuts that size with a taper end.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts