M-22 Rock Crusher Muncie question

81Malibuwagon

Amateur Racer
Dec 5, 2009
Lloydminster Alberta Canada
hey every one, got a question about the M-22 Rock Crusher Muncie 4 speeds. who here is running them in your g bodies and behind a big block? i have found a big block 454 and i have my original clutch pedal assembly out of my iraqi taxi bu. and i want to make my wagon a 454 4 speed car. i want to stay with factory big block 4 speed options from the 60's and 70's. so what are the pro's and con's of the big block/m-22 combo? who has problems and who hasnt?

Drew

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Well I have a M-21 in my car. Only real issue was the shifter caused floor pan interference. If your using a stock or Hurst shifter you should be fine and it'll bolt right in with the original 10.5" bellhousing. You may have a hard time keeping a clutch in it behind a BBC :) Only other con is no overdrive and with gears makes highway driving a PITA @ 4000 rpm with 3.42's and short 26" tall tires....

abigda

Frequent Racer
May 19, 2007
Springfield, MA
I run a truck bellhousing an clutch, that 10.5 clutch will have a hard time holding up I would think. It's a pretty basic swap, will by right in with the stock crossmember depending on the trans your car originally had

81Malibuwagon

Amateur Racer
Dec 5, 2009
Lloydminster Alberta Canada
sweet, i am starting to look for a 4 speed muncie and i am planning on running a different rear end then i have now. the stock 7.5 with 2.73. i dont mind doing clutch work. and i would most likely be looking for a stronger clutch disk. i am looking into getting the proper shifter and linkage, even if i have to get new hurst shifter parts. as for the cross member, i dont have the stock one. i made a 2 x 2 square tube cross member to clear the dual exhaust and so it was easier to change transmissions

Drew

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!