Malibu Classic Body Molding

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
After painting, would like to replace the original side molding with beige with chrome accent stripes, as original. The molding height is about 1.25 and so far, can only find it in black and chrome.

If anyone has located a source. please respond. It is not essential that it's the same height, one inch height would work, but would like to find ,color beige with chrome.

Thanks for any response.

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
To close this out, after looking at their website, called Trimgard of Canada @ 519-681-1090 and they provided the part # for chrome and color body molding similar to original. Was looking for beige color, and the part # is 1308-26. They do not sell direct, so used their East coast distributor, Car Pretty at 800-262-6215. It is not that cheap at about $62 for 2-13 ft lenghts + ship but at least I found what I wanted. The Malibu in the paint shop and once the molding comes in, I'll have them pinstripe to the same color as the body molding. I'm very excited about this, after over 10 years it's finally getting painted.

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
Ribbedroof, thanks for posting the ebay link for the buckskin color molding.

The next day after posting that Trimgard of Canada has beige color and chrome molding, the distributor called back that the salesman was incorrect, beige color is no longer available, only black and white. Brought white and the body shop will paint the molding, like what ribbedroof origianlly recommended.

One other thing to note is that Trimgard's molding comes as two 13 ft long pieces, each with spears at the ends. This does not duplicate the original molding, but that's all thats available unless something shows up on ebay. Another thing to note is that Trimgard's molding is fresh while ebay supplier molding maybe years old, so the two sided tape on the backside of the molding may not stick that well, of course that can be corrected by obtaining new two-sided tape, of course it's extra work and expense.

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
IF you had to retape the molding, Colad makes a very thin clear 2 sided tape for autobody use. I sometimes use it where a part comes off and leaves the original tape intact. Clean the side that used to be attached to the vehicle, and use the Colad. This is often the case with GM truck flares. Just another option, in case you need it.

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
If you notice the Malibu for the month picture, there's a '78 landua with the correct body molding that looks in great condition and assune that it's new.

Wonder where he obtained the molding?

Eddies78

Daily Driver
Aug 23, 2014
South Carolina
gmtofd, what a coincidence that I just happened to read your post about body side molding, that's my 78 Malibu in Malibu of the month for December, my dad bought the car new and it has since been repainted about 10 or 12 years ago, I think I may have the box that the molding came in out in my garage (maybe), I will look and get back to you guys if I find out where it came from, as I am planning on having the car repainted before this spring and will most likely need some more myself.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!