Malibu fabbed rear end input , moser,TRZ

MXMHERO

Weekend Racer
Jun 16, 2007
Phoenixville,PA
Thinking of putting a fabbed rear in my 79 malibu. It's a bigblock put out 680 on the engine dyno and i will be running a 400 trans(not 100% on the trans yet) I'm guessing the car will put around mid 500's to the wheels. i'm set on one of these to rear end's and looking for input form anybody that has either of them, like fitment issue's etc. Car will be mostly run on the street, Only race track time will be mostly friday night test and tune's. I'm guessing alot of people will recommend the TRZ, but i'm thinking it may be overkill for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
TRZ, without a doubt. Their sheetmetal rear starts as a Moser bare housing and they add their own custom control arm mounts. This is critical to the car's suspension geometry and having the car work properly. The Moser bolt-in rear has raised upper arm mounts that are not in an ideal location, nor is there any adjustment.

I don't know for sure, but TRZ may be able to build based on a stock Ford style housing which may be slightly cheaper.

But spend the money once, and buy a good housing with proper mount geometry. Cars don't slow down, they only get faster over time. If not now, some day the car will need the advantages of the TRZ housing.

MXMHERO

Weekend Racer
Jun 16, 2007
Phoenixville,PA
TRZ it is then, I think i will get there Stage 2 rear suspension kit also. really dig your car, thx. for the input.

454RAT

Pro Stocker
Mar 19, 2004
Summerville, SC
10secBu said:
TRZ, without a doubt. Their sheetmetal rear starts as a Moser bare housing and they add their own custom control arm mounts. This is critical to the car's suspension geometry and having the car work properly. The Moser bolt-in rear has raised upper arm mounts that are not in an ideal location, nor is there any adjustment.

I don't know for sure, but TRZ may be able to build based on a stock Ford style housing which may be slightly cheaper.

But spend the money once, and buy a good housing with proper mount geometry. Cars don't slow down, they only get faster over time. If not now, some day the car will need the advantages of the TRZ housing.

One of the most knowledgeable g- body people out there.

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
MXMHERO, what did you end up going with? We are looking at the TRZ now too and it is way overkill but it'll last forever in our setup. It's the only option that is designed to keep the geometry correct.

Do you race at Cecil? We are outside of Downingtown.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!