Manual Steering vs. Manual Rack

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
How does the turning effort on a rack and pinion steering setup like from TRZ compare to a manual steering setup swapped in from say an S-10?

Norm Peterson

Amateur Racer
Oct 18, 2003
state of confusion
Just off the top of my head, I'd guess it would be related to the number of turns required to steer the front wheels between the same positions. Assuming same wheels/tires/alignment settings.

IOW, if the manual S10 takes 3.0 turns to steer from 25° right to 25° left, and the rack & pinion does it in 2.0, the R&P effort should be about 50% higher.

I think R&P units are usually identified by how many inches of rack travel per turn of the steering wheel. Never tried to work out a similar rate of steering at the end of the Pitman arm for recirculating ball. But that would be another approach.

Norm

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
Any idea what the turn ratios are on these two setups?

Also, what do you think the advantage is of switching? Weight savings? Handling?

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
My wilwood manual rack is considerably lighter than a manual box, heavy steering arm, and drag link/tie rods/etc. It is 2 turns lock to lock and I think it is easier to steer than manual boxes I have used in the past.

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
theoretically it would be quite a bit lighter because of the lesser parts and material.

Take into account how much a pitman arm, tie rods, center link, idler arm, and the steering gear box all weighs and then if it's power steering you have the pump and resovoir and hoses... all that get replaced by just the rack that all bolts up to the spindles. That would be crazy to get rid of all of that stuff and gain a few HP without the pump as well... looks like another thing on the list... maybe someday I'll finish this car...

ILLEGAL REGAL

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jan 1, 2005
Tinley Park,IL
CutlassRacer said:
Cars equipped with manual racks are MUCH easier to steer than one with a factory manual setup.
for sure!!! the only thing I'm not sure on is travel.. I dont think the wheels turn as far with the narrowed rack from TRZ but I could be wrong.

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
well the car is a street car, planned to be a well handling street car... so quick ratio may even be something I want eventually...
Anybody have any ideas on how much horsepower can be gained from not having to turn a power steerin pump any more? I know I gained a noticeably significant amount from just replacing my flex fan with electric fans and not having to turn it anymore... wasn't sure about the pump... While I'm thinking of it... would it be of any use (other than weight reduction) to remove the A/C system, it's all hooked up and complete, but needs charged, but I wasn't sure if it may free up some horsepower as well, but it's more of just an idler when it's not engaged... Any thoughts?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts