Master Cylinder Leaking...

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
Brake fluid is leaking out of where the master cylinder connects to the brake booster. Is there some sort of gasket in there that could be replaced? Or would I have to replace the master cylinder. Or......the brake booster? I hope its one of the first two :/

I was driving with an empty reservoir today, so it isn't just a little leak anymore.

80malibu80

Amateur Racer
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary ,Alberta,Canada
Mine was leaking on my car to when i first got it. I wondered if there was a gasket as well. I pulled it apart to find out there is no gasket that goes between them. It was the master cylinder leaking from the back side. Im sure there is a seal in the inside back of it. Just cheaper to buy a whole new one from your local parts store install and bleed the brakes.....................and pray that your bleeders on your calipers and rear cylinders crack lose or you may have to buy them to.A year later my new one is leaking URRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Hope that helps Darrell

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
Thanks for the response.

I found out there are little rubber o-ring like things inside it that probably wore out. I could either get a manufactured one for 20 or buy a rebuild kit for 22. Waiting to put it on now.

My bleeders are fine, I already had to bleed them when I did the brake lines over. Thanks for your concern though.

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
I forgot to mention I already got the remanufactured one. I guess I was hoping everyone would realize I would get the cheaper replacement rather than the more expensive rebuild kit, haha.

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
I just replaced my old one and now it is still leaking from the same spot. Could this be my brake booster? Ugh.

80malibu80

Amateur Racer
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary ,Alberta,Canada
80Grand_LeMans said:
I just replaced my old one and now it is still leaking from the same spot. Could this be my brake booster? Ugh.

I cant see it being the booster since there is no fluid that goes in it. I bet you got a bad one. Same as me. I could see signs of mine leaking within 8 months of putting in my new one. I think they just clean them up and rebuild them and sell them again.That is why they charged me a core charge when i bought it.Piss me off when i painted up the booster and master cylinder all nice.I still havnt changed mine yet . But im sure next year i will have to.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts