Mech. Injection on the street

MemoryRacing

Daily Driver
Aug 13, 2007
Tooele, Utah
www.MemoryRacing.com
I just got my Malibu.
Right now it is a blown and alky injected 377 -destroked 400.
I will be running E85 (E70) We only get E70, in Utah, all year long. I am opting for E85 for the convenience of filling up, and its cheaper.
Right now the fuel system is a cam driven Enderlie 600 pump, Enderlie Birdcatcher for Alky, and a Holley blue feeding the under-hood Surge tank.

I love the throttle response of the mechanical injection, and really can't afford EFI. So I am weighing options to get this set up for the street. I know it is a major PITA to get the idle check valve tuned in for street use, but I am not afraid of a challenge.

Is there anyone else on here running mechanical injection on the street?

Another side question/topic:
This set up has to be primed. Right now that is done with a squirt bottle with pump gas in it, just squirted through the butterflies before cranking it over. I don't like that idea one bit. I am wondering if I could use a small pump, small braided line, small tank, and a Fuel solenoid with a jet that is tapped into the hat or somewhere. Then I can just push a button to prime the motor if it dies after burnout, or for colder starts on the street. Thoughts?
A buddy at work suggested to just run a vacuum drawn set up. Let the vacuum of it cranking draw the fuel through the open solenoid...?

deuce_454

Amateur Racer
Jul 21, 2007
Copenhagen, Denmark
i would get a prime pump from a piper pa28 or somthing, you can propably get one on ebay cheap... they work great and are built for just that... and you will soon know how many pumps it will need...

with regards to the mech EFI... considder megasquirt, snd if you still want mechanical, do it right.... check kinsler.com. they have alot of really nice stuff for this.. the dial a jet is awesome. also considder a small tank in the engine compartment where the battery used to be... that way fuel will be above pump level, and all you would need was to have a cheap electric thasfer pimp from the malibu tank to the feed tank.... that will eliminate most of the starting woes....

MemoryRacing

Daily Driver
Aug 13, 2007
Tooele, Utah
www.MemoryRacing.com
Thank you for the reply.
I already have the surge tank under the hood, so thats good.
I have read a little bit about those pumps. I need to do a little more research, so I fully understand how it works before i make a purchase. I hate buying the wrong parts. hahaha

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!