Mechanical speedo came with wires on back?

Jun 1, 2010
Amery, WI
I just got another cluster for my car w/ the 120 speedo. The speedo has a mfg date of sept. 86, so I'm assuming its out of an '87 car. Anyway, it has 3 wires that are attached to the back of it and I don't know where they go, or if I need to hook them up.

cantwaittill420

Jun 1, 2010
Amery, WI
I just removed the wires, and they look like they must be the hall effect sensor for a cruise control application. Does that sound about right?

cantwaittill420

Jun 1, 2010
Amery, WI
It has 3 wires, green red and black, held on by screw. Took it off and installed new cluster. I'm sure thats all it was.

All the new gauges work with the exception of my temp gauge. It is stuck at about 4:30 or so and if you manually move it, it swings to that spot, I'm guessing that means a coil is shorted in it, but not sure. I have switched it with another one I had which is working. Can I test the "bad" one. Has anyone dealt with Mikes Montes? That is where I bought the cluster, I'll call on Monday to see if they would send me a different temp gauge.

What do most people do about the Wiper/headlight switch difference between say my '79 malibu and the '87 monte cluster I installed. Mine has the headlight switch and wiper switch mounted together and the new one has only a light switch? I'm thinking hookup to the new style light switch which looks to have the same plug, and relocate the wiper switch lower in the dash or something.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts