methanol injection

yellow383

Daily Driver
Mar 8, 2010
has anyone tried one of the metanol/water injection kits on a carbed engine? If so were there any power gains?

DFWMalibu

Dragway Regular
Dec 15, 2006
Dallas,Tx
are you forced inducted... Thats what they were designed for... so you could run more boost..

Chris K.

Bad Medicine Racing

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2010
Grove Oak, AL
DFWMalibu said:
are you forced inducted... Thats what they were designed for... so you could run more boost..

Chris K.
They make kits for N/A too.

http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=31

siege

Amateur Racer
Oct 6, 2009
Ya i have seen the na kits on trucks before but never was told how well they worked or if made any power difference.

gbodystuff

Amateur Racer
Mar 30, 2009
Iowa
Yes, it makes a difference. It effectively cools the air charge thus making it less prone to detonation. As a bonus, it keeps emissions in check by attacking carbon deposits. If you run pump gas, you can add a covalizer to further break down the fuels carbon chains to make it easier to burn. I make my own additives for the fuel but I been busy working on various aspects of using methonal injection. On a N/A motor, I have found it gains more power in the midrange to top end power. The engine responds much more quickly with the addition of methonal. From what I can gather as to chemical data, the isopropyl alcohol in it serves to effectively raise the active compression ratio of the fuel while at the same time, the distilled water absorbs heat which reduces combustion chamber temps to lower the engine's sensitivity to detonation while the water also expands which increases power by helping push the piston down the cylinder with added force during combustion. This process increases exponetionally when used with forced induction. When added after air is compressed, it cools the incoming air charge dramatically while adding "expanding" power.

gbodystuff

Amateur Racer
Mar 30, 2009
Iowa
Another thought for ya...you can use a purge valve solenoid to trigger your spray too. I've used newer style washer pumps to turn on while opening a purge valve circuit to spray in liquid methanol. Or, use the PCV system to draw it in all the time...re-fill at your convenience.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!