metric turbo 350... please help

el meano

Amateur Racer
Jun 19, 2009
new haven CT
i belive this is what i have although ive never heard of a th350 with lockup, i could very well be wrong. it is out of an 84 elco, so any more info there would help, but...

if i hammer on the throttle it shifts 1,2,3, no prob, but at any other time 2-3 shift falls on its face. 1-2 is always pretty solid, and i tried it w/o the tv cable hooked up and got the same results. (when im not trying to beat the snot out of the car the 2-3 shift feels like when you have a minibike with a 3hp briggs engine and a syntrifigal* clutch and you are like 325lbs going up hill.) if i beat the heck out of ot it seems ok, and i have a z-gate shifter, so if i pull it into 2nd every time i come to a stop sighn then wind 2nd out and compleetly let off the throttle and click it in 3rd it is ok too, but i cant keep driving like this it is rediculous.

if it was a modulater wouldnt the 1-2 shift slip like crazy too?? or is the 3rd gear clutch shot. i need to try to fix this till i can afford a 700r4 this is nuts curse_sign.gif

A

Anonymous

Did you try to unplug the lockup and drive it, or is the lockup even hooked up?

matty man

Dragway Regular
Jun 1, 2003
Grove City , Ohio
Sounds like a 200 metric, does it have 'METRIC" stamped in the transmission pan? If so it is a 200, 350 turbos do have a lock up converter. Look at the tail shaft case, housing, if it has a 4 bolt aft cover, where the speed-o hooks up its a 350 but if the case is one piece and does not unbolt its a 200, if so just shoot it, matty man 8)

el meano

Amateur Racer
Jun 19, 2009
new haven CT
this is why im so confussed. it doesent say metric on the transmission pan, and no lockup isnt hooked up. the computer is gone. i am currently trying to pick up a 4 speed od trans, but till i get one i cant shoot this one. should i try a modulator?

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
you probably have a 350c lock-up trans ( same as I had in my '84 Monte ss )

Shifts are modulated by vacuum source from the intake ( TV cable is used on the 200R & 700R4 trans ). You will probably see a steel tube come up over the trans, next to the distributor and plug into the intake right behind the carb. If you have a vacuum leak the shifts will not happen or will be sloppy. As well you can change out the modulator on the side of the trans if it's acting up. It was a good trans in it's day because of the lockup feature. The trans in my Monte would pull fine and chirp the tires in 2nd with the underpowered three-oh-fried and worked well overall but the lack of an OD made me swap it out.

el meano

Amateur Racer
Jun 19, 2009
new haven CT
thanks for your help, your right it is prob the modulator considering i cant find a vaccume leak from the modulator line on ither the intake end or the transmission end-

i really want a 700r4...........

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts