Mini Tubs

A

Anonymous

I'm going to be changing the slicks on the Malibu and it has 28-10.5's on it now.I'm wanting to go to a 29.5-10.5 but not sure if it will fit?The frame has been notched but not mini tubbed.

Griswald

Pro Stocker
Jul 6, 2003
Austin, Tx
Shannon,

You will find that the inside edge of the tire will rub the wheel well. You can go full mini tub, or cut out the inside of the stock wheel well and move it over.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Bud.Thats what I was looking at doing.I didn't want to go cutting out the whole wheel well.The right side seems closer that the left.

A

Anonymous

minitub

I've got a 78 Malibu and want to put a 28x10.5 slick on it. How did you get it on there without a minitub? I have a moser 9" with stock width. I was hoping to get that tire under it with just frame rail notching and narrowing the rear-end. What was it you did? Tom

A

Anonymous

Tom My car came like this.But from what I've seen is the frame is just notched and it looks like the wheel is a 15x8 with 4-41/2 inch backspace.

Clark how do you adjust the upper control arms to center the rear.It has Edlebrock adjustables on it.And it looks like no one ever did any adjusting.

mreese

Amateur Racer
Aug 16, 2007
KILGORE TX
Re: minitub

Tom said:
I've got a 78 Malibu and want to put a 28x10.5 slick on it. How did you get it on there without a minitub? I have a moser 9" with stock width. I was hoping to get that tire under it with just frame rail notching and narrowing the rear-end. What was it you did? Tom
YOU NEED A 15X8 3.5 BACKSPACING AND ROLL OR CUT OUT YOUR FENDER
LIPS TO RUN THAT TIRE.

Griswald

Pro Stocker
Jul 6, 2003
Austin, Tx
BigS1975 said:
Clark how do you adjust the upper control arms to center the rear.It has Edlebrock adjustables on it.And it looks like no one ever did any adjusting.

Shorten the opposite side and it should pull it over a bit. Of course, I had dbl adj on the lowers and it allowed me to reposition the whole rear and keep pinion angle where I wanted it. Make sense?

A

Anonymous

Yeah makes sense to me.I was taking some pics of the car yesterday and notice that they have 1/4 inch spacers on the rear wheels.So I think I'll have to get different wheels with a different backspace to go to a 29.5 tire.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!