Mopar 8-3/4 rear

red barn

Frequent Racer
Mar 5, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I am surprised that I haven't seen more of these rears under a g-body. I would think that you could use the Speedway 9" bracket kits and put one of these rears in relatively cheap. Any one done one?

A

Anonymous

i was just talking to my boss about doingjust that in my wagon. he's abig mopar guy, and i guess the same aplys to putting a 9 in a g-body. he stated that the a-body cars had rears about 58.5-59.5 inches wide( wheel flange to wheel flange). i kinda like the idea of a 8 3/4 rear diff. you dont ask how a suregrip works ,you just accept it and move on.(joe dirt quote).

johnnycarlo

Frequent Racer
Apr 6, 2007
RIMBEY AB. CANADA
I put one in my 80 Monte. It works great I plasma cut the lowers of a factory diff and made 4 tabs for the uppers and built my own double adjustable upper links. My diff came out of a 66 fullsize so I use 15x8 wheels with 5.5" backspace. If I could have found one out of a A body it would have been just about the right width. I put a spool in mine but a factory sure grip would have been fine if it would have had one.

sean_malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 27, 2008
Langley B.C. Canada
I have one in in my malibu works great.456 gears and a spool. Ice man solid lower and adjustable upper control arms.I like it better than the ford 9" basically because it's not a ford product.LOL

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
As far as being cheaper, they hard to find and are gold around here. I would have had to pay $450.oo on up for a JUNK small pinion (741) case rear that was needing rebuilt for my 66 Barracuda. :lol:
I never cared about the axle bearings being set up the way they was for swapping gears (center section) out easily like a 9" Phord.

Weekend Racer
Oct 22, 2003
Southern ON Canada
We have a 68 GTX-742 with spool, in our 78 Malibu bracket car..brakes & all. The 11"x3" brakes sure help allowing 3000-3200rpm footbrake launches. :D It's 15lbs lighter than the 9" F*** in the Camaro too!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!